Eyes closed

Lys368

• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, and 3 months old. 2 Months in my care
  • Handling - Was handling twice a day for medication, but now twice a week.
  • Feeding - Eats small crickets, will eat fruit flies if she has them. Can eat 3 to 4 crickets at a time. Fed once in the morning and once at night, will throw in one or two in the middle of the day. I gut load my feeders with fruit and veggies. Newly onto mealworms.
  • Supplements - Repti-calcium without d13 6 days a week and with d13 once a week.
  • Watering - Misting about 3 to four times a day. I don't have a mister so I will just use a clean spray bottle. I do see my chameleon drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal is soft, and urates are healthy.
  • History - Nothing needed to note.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, 16x16x30
  • Lighting - Reptisun 10.0 in the process of changing to T5 HO. 100watt basking spot bulb. 12 hours each during the day.
  • Temperature - Basking spot: 80-85. Temp in day, 70 to 80. Night: 65-75.
  • Humidity - Day: 30 - 50%. Night: 70 - 100%. I am using a humidifier and I have a temp gauge at the bottom of the cage.
  • Plants - Live plants. Schefflera arboricola (more to come)
  • Placement - Cage acted in the corner of the room. Theres a fan on the ceiling and no vents near the cage. The cage is about 2 to 3 feet off the ground.
  • Location - Arizona
Today I popped into the room to notice she was basking with her eyes closed. She wasn't sleeping because upon reaching her cage and touching it she opened them. She was not sleeping because I could see her eyes moving around. Good color, when I took her out she went neutral and walked up my arm. Does this sound like a problem? She ate really good this morning and basks most of her day, but I do see her being active. And ive only ever seen her do this twice, yesterday morning, and today. I haven't seen her do it again later in the day.

Is her foot any better?
It's not good that she's shutting her eyes during the day. Could she have been injured more than you think in the accident?

Is her foot any better?
It's not good that she's shutting her eyes during the day. Could she have been injured more than you think in the accident?
He foot is beginning to decay, when I went to the vet he said she was perfectly healthy. He did warn me about her foot though and it possibly dying.

Can you post pictures of your entire set up lights down and of the baby?
I will sit and talk pictures of her terrarium tonight, for now here's the baby. You can see where her foot is beginning to die.

Attachments

• 1EEE775A-B43B-45ED-A11B-E47C0DC2745B.jpeg
    1EEE775A-B43B-45ED-A11B-E47C0DC2745B.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 89
I will sit and talk pictures of her terrarium tonight, for now here's the baby. You can see where her foot is beginning to die.
Maybe @kinyonga will have feedback for you about the foot... Personally I do not have any idea what to do for that type of injury.

Any chance you can get a couple of closer photos of the foot?
Is there a cut across the foot just next to the part that looks dark? Do younthinkmit got pinched there?

Heres her home :)
Per her enclosure. You will want to start making changes... Veileds eat everything like a toddler. So having fake plants and moss in the bottom is an impaction risk. This is a wonderful husbandry program that will walk you through every step of what is needed for your chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Make sure your only running the fogger at night when the lights are off and the cage is cool.

If your using the double dome fixture for UVB lighting then you will want to replace that as well. You want a T5ho fixture and a 5.0 bulb. Then the branch would be 8-9 inches below for the correct exposure. The compact bulbs that go in a dome fixture are not efficient enough for a chameleon. Chams that are exposed to this type of lighting will develop MBD because they can not get the correct UVB exposure level.

Per her enclosure. You will want to start making changes... Veileds eat everything like a toddler. So having fake plants and moss in the bottom is an impaction risk. This is a wonderful husbandry program that will walk you through every step of what is needed for your chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Make sure your only running the fogger at night when the lights are off and the cage is cool.

If your using the double dome fixture for UVB lighting then you will want to replace that as well. You want a T5ho fixture and a 5.0 bulb. Then the branch would be 8-9 inches below for the correct exposure. The compact bulbs that go in a dome fixture are not efficient enough for a chameleon. Chams that are exposed to this type of lighting will develop MBD because they can not get the correct UVB exposure level.
As per instructions I have removed the moss and fake plants from Anas home. And instead put a hibiscus and Australian sword fern. Organic soil was used and I put clean rocks on top so she doesn't eat the soil.
IMG_6111.jpeg

Fogger only runs at night only.

She has a th5o, in the beginning it was a compact but that did not last long.

As per instructions I have removed the moss and fake plants from Anas home. And instead put a hibiscus and Australian sword fern. Organic soil was used and I put clean rocks on top so she doesn't eat the soil.
View attachment 285461
Fogger only runs at night only.

She has a th5o, in the beginning it was a compact but that did not last long.
what bulb strength are you using for the T5?

Any chance you can get a couple of closer photos of the foot?
Is there a cut across the foot just next to the part that looks dark? Do younthinkmit got pinched there?
It seems to be pinched, but does try to use it, the bottom is not dark like that. from the start her foot has had that pinched appearance, its better now. The vet made the assumption her foot may die, but she overall uses it.
IMG_6092.jpeg

its a 24w 5.0 t5ho bulb.
Ok if it is a T5 with a 5.0 bulb then you need to have only an 8-9 inch drop to the basking branch below it. Anything more will reduce UVI exposure.. You want them to have the correct exposure to ensure they do not develop MBD.
It is hard to tell what your distance is so I just want to make sure you have this info.

Back
Top Bottom