Eyes closed clumsy

Spikeoli

We got a veiled chameleon about 3 weeks ago
Cage screen 18x18x36 100 watt & uvb basking temp 90 eats avg 6 crickets a day misting couple times a day located in utah . The problem is he keeps his eyes closed most the day we took her back to the pet store and the owner said he seemed fine brought her back home and she seems to be getting worse she fell from the top and acts confused . I havent seen her lick water in a few days but when i mist she rubs her mouth in water. Any help would be great

Attachments

• 20191124_081049.jpg
    20191124_081049.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20191124_081055.jpg
    20191124_081055.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 71
  • 20191124_081111.jpg
    20191124_081111.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 74
I dont have the name of it but its a green like jello the petstore sold us saying its food and water . Also have puy in pieces of apple 20 min befor feeding

• Your Chameleon - veiled, female, not sure on age. Ive had her for 3 weeks
  • Handling - once a week
  • Feeding - avrage 6 small crickets a day jello like food/ water and apple 20 min befor feeding .
  • Supplements - exo terra calcium+ d3 once a week
  • Watering - misting 1 min 2-3 times a day water bowl with bubbler. Havent seen her drink for 4 days just rubs her mouth in it lately.
  • Fecal Description - black solid poop.has not been tested for parasites that i know of
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x36 screen cage covered 1 side
  • Lighting - 12 hours on zoo med 100 watt basking zoo med reptisun 5.0 . On at night exoterra 75 watt red light held up high keeps top of cage 74 degrees at night
  • Temperature - basking 90-95 floor 71measured with a digital fish tank thermometer
  • Humidity - i dont know pet store said it wasnt a big deal if i misted at least 2 times a day
  • Plants - no live plants all plastic
  • Placement - located on bedroom no fans or vents minimal traffic top of cage is 5' 6" off floor
  • Location - located in utah

Welcome to he forum...lots of good info on it!

This chameleon is quite sick and should see a vet ASAP.

Regarding the husbandry...
I have no idea what the green"jello" is but I would hit using it. At the age that chameleon is it should be eating as much as it wants in a couple of minutes at each feeding. You can feed it appropriately sized crickets, locusts, roaches, silkworms, etc and once in a while superworms and wax worms. They should all be well fed and gutloaded. For crickets, locusts, roaches, superworms you can feed them a wide assortment of greens...dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc and veggies ...carrots, sweet potatoes, sweet red peppers, zucchini, squash, etc and a bit of fruit...pears, apples, melon, berries, etc.

For supplements its recommended that you dust at almost all feedings with a phos free calcium powder lightly...twice s month with phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and twice a month with a vitamin powder lightly that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Some people give their chameleons a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while too...but prEformed sources are fat soluble and build up in the system. d3 from supplements also builds up so we just dust it twice a month and leave the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. Most often recommended UVB light...the long linear tube reptisun 5.0 UVB light.
The bowl with the bubbler is a good place for bacteria to grow if it's not kept very clean. A dripper would be better in addition to the mistings.

I would recommend lowering the basking temperature to the mid 80's for now.

I would recommend that you replace the plastic plants with real non toxic well washed ones because veiled chameleons often eat vegetation and eating a fake leave could lead to impaction.

I'm sure I've missed things but others will chime in soon.

Welcome to he forum...lots of good info on it!

This chameleon is quite sick and should see a vet ASAP.

Regarding the husbandry...
I have no idea what the green"jello" is but I would hit using it. At the age that chameleon is it should be eating as much as it wants in a couple of minutes at each feeding. You can feed it appropriately sized crickets, locusts, roaches, silkworms, etc and once in a while superworms and wax worms. They should all be well fed and gutloaded. For crickets, locusts, roaches, superworms you can feed them a wide assortment of greens...dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc and veggies ...carrots, sweet potatoes, sweet red peppers, zucchini, squash, etc and a bit of fruit...pears, apples, melon, berries, etc.

For supplements its recommended that you dust at almost all feedings with a phos free calcium powder lightly...twice s month with phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and twice a month with a vitamin powder lightly that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Some people give their chameleons a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while too...but prEformed sources are fat soluble and build up in the system. d3 from supplements also builds up so we just dust it twice a month and leave the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. Most often recommended UVB light...the long linear tube reptisun 5.0 UVB light.
The bowl with the bubbler is a good place for bacteria to grow if it's not kept very clean. A dripper would be better in addition to the mistings.

I would recommend lowering the basking temperature to the mid 80's for now.

I would recommend that you replace the plastic plants with real non toxic well washed ones because veiled chameleons often eat vegetation and eating a fake leave could lead to impaction.

I'm sure I've missed things but others will chime in soon.
Thank you .

Back
Top Bottom