EYE SCRATCHING ON THE VINES!

lthrbecks

Established Member
I've noticed my veiled cam is gently Rubbing his eyes on the vines. It's not everyday, just a few occasions per week. He's well misted and his cage gets really well misted a few times a day. His eyes are totally clear, no sign of oozing or discharge of any kind.

ANY IDEAS FOLKS?
MANY THANKS

No shedding at present

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_150330.jpg
    IMG_20210805_150330.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210805_150420.jpg
    IMG_20210805_150420.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210805_150336.jpg
    IMG_20210805_150336.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 130
I'm not a vet....but from the look of his eye turrets I'd say here is something going on.

What supplements are you using and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in the D3 and form of vitamin A.

What do you feed the insects and what insects do you feed to him?
How many insects do you feed him in a week?

Without D3 x 6 days
Every Sunday I alternate with D3 or reptivite

Only grasshoppers and red runner roaches constant supply, never left without them. They're feed on fruit, cucumber, apples, bug grub, oranges.

I think you're over feeding him...but that has nothing to do with the eyes. His casque is very plump.
He only needs to be fed 2 or 3 times a week....and only 4 or 5 insects each time depending on the size of the insects.

I would feed lots less fruit to the insects and more things like dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc. This too likely has nothing to do with the eyes.

Is there D3 in the reptivite as well as the other powder with D3 in it?

Yes d3 is in it.
Lettuce is 99% of the grasshoppers diet. They don't eat the fruit as such.

Figaro only eats 1 - 2 hoppers per day maximum. Most days he does not eat roaches

So he's getting D3 four times a month no it just getting vitamins twice a month. I would cut out the D3 and just use the reptivite twice a month....and calcium at all feedings but one a week when you use the reptivite.

I would also cut the number of feedings back to 2 or 4 times a week.

Lettuce is not nutritious enough for the insects. The list I gave you is better by far.

He doesn't overeat, therefore being able to graze as and when he likes, I thought, was a good way to feed him

Back
Top Bottom