Eye problems and lighting..help

I was going to say, 10.0 bulb as well as a 2.0 uvb in a 18inch tall glass container would be overkill I would think... as I mentioned 1 of the 4 has passed and another has been doing a lot better opening both eyes and walking around... one actually drank some pedialyte last night and I'm just gonna stay with the terramycin routine until it fixes them up... that and increased mistings and i think they will come around....

I...in a 18inch tall glass container...
Howdy, If you are looking for something to experiment with, how about moving the "sick" ones to a screened enclosure. Although many keepers have success with babies in glass enclosures (adults too), if you are having problems then this might be a choice worth trying. My normal room humidity is around 40%-60% without any added effort. All of the hatchlings that I've dealt with have always been in full-screened enclosures and I have been successful with them. It's something to think about anyway...

Oh, I almost forgot... 5.0 or 10.0, make sure that you keep the distances correct for these little critters.

I am going to replicate the 24w 26t 12d screen enclosure out of wood in the next day or so... this is the only screen enclosure i have for them.... i just don't know how well they can move around in there without falling off of stuff without their eyes being open... but i will try it, anything to try and figure out a solution.

Lost another one... And the one who is doing well has his eyes wide open and climbing around just fine in natural sunlight, bring him inside and same thing all over... bright lights make him open up and see whats going on??? Im lost... ahah but getting closer i hope...

Howdy,

Is all of your lighting from above and aimed downward? Is that Reptisun 5.0 6"-12" away from them?

That's why I recommended the 10.0 to him as it penetrates deeper into the enclosure. The 10.0 isn't bright enough on its own so I suggested combine a 2.0. He seems to think his 5.0 is sufficient so I'm assuming his babies are climbing all the way to the top of his 18" enclosure...

Last edited:
The babies climb all over, All over the tree and vines and even the top of the screen top... the uvb light is about 4 inches above the screen or so... it is aiming down, the plant grow bulb is aiming toward the back of the enclosure sitting on the top of the enclosure...i just assumed 10.0 bulb would be overexposure to little babies.....?

The babies climb all over, All over the tree and vines and even the top of the screen top... the uvb light is about 4 inches above the screen or so... it is aiming down, the plant grow bulb is aiming toward the back of the enclosure sitting on the top of the enclosure...i just assumed 10.0 bulb would be overexposure to little babies.....?

I'd have that 5.0 UVB bulb right ON the screen cage and not 4" above. You're waisting 4" of penetration to the rest of the enclosure. This means the bottom 10" of your 18" enclosure gets NO or very very very little UVB rays... As 5.0 bulbs are only good for 12" of penetration.
10.0 bulbs are good for 20", hence why I recommended it.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_bulbs.php

Last edited:
Is it possible to over expose UVB? Just curious because one of mine wont open his eye starting today either and I'm using a 10.0. Not finding a clear answer either so...

I'd have that 5.0 UVB bulb right ON the screen cage and not 4" above. You're waisting 4" of penetration to the rest of the enclosure. This means the bottom 10" of your 18" enclosure gets NO or very very very little UVB rays... As 5.0 bulbs are only good for 12" of penetration.
10.0 bulbs are good for 20", hence why I recommended it.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_bulbs.php

the lighting fixture is right on the screen top, the bulb placement inside the fixture has about 4 inches or so from the screen, its a esu combo hood... i used it for the parents and i use it for these guys and its doing fine for the rest.... I really don't know why 4 of 8 got sick or developed this problem Im starting to believe it was just natural selection, 3 of the 4 are deceased and doesn't look good for the other one now either, he was making the most improvement.... the other 4 are doign great, really good eaters and growing quickly...

the light fixtures on the exo-terra site are neat, does anyone know where you can pick those up at?particularly the dimming one?

the light fixtures on the exo-terra site are neat, does anyone know where you can pick those up at?particularly the dimming one?

Ren, trust me when I say this. I have one of the light cycle units in my room for my female laying cage. They are a complete waist of money. I have taken it back several times and the light cycle doesn't work. If it interests you at all, just go with the regular one. Hagen knew there was a problem with them when I called about it, and they were still selling them in the stores. They told me 20% of them were in fact working at that time and to exchange it in a month. Well, lets just say I exchanged it a few times and to no avail. I still have to power it down at night myself.
I hope you figure out the problem with the babies. It's possible that the batch of eggs had a slight deficiency from the start and it wouldn't have mattered what you did to try to save them.

Is it possible to over expose UVB? Just curious because one of mine wont open his eye starting today either and I'm using a 10.0. Not finding a clear answer either so...
Howdy,

Yes it is quite possible to O.D. on UVB depending on make and model and placement. Tell us more... Also, as Kinyonga posted, read through that entire site since you'll need to be up on UVB when it comes to reptiles.

Howdy,

Yes it is quite possible to O.D. on UVB depending on make and model and placement. Tell us more... Also, as Kinyonga posted, read through that entire site since you'll need to be up on UVB when it comes to reptiles.

Ok, I have a reptisun 10.0 linear tube, not compact. But reading that makes me think that it is the lighting making him close his eye, not that hes not getting enough UVB. It mentions that one of the symptoms are that they stop basking which is also what I noticed. Im going home from work and swapping the 10.0 for a 5.0 and see if he gets better. I had put this 10.0 in his cage for about a week now, he originally had the 5.0

Last edited:
Doesnt seam i will have any more problems out of the 4 babies any longer as they are all deceased.... I think it just may have been natural selection... of just failure to thrive... they never were big eaters and never really seamed to grow... i do have 4 that seam rather healthy growing eating and drinking like champs.. thanks for all your help guys... we will be having a memorial service when school lets out, in one large,(for baby chams) mass grave :(

Back
Top Bottom