Eye problem.

stevenelvin

ok. I put a down payment on a male ambilobe about 1-2weeks ago and he was looking very good.

But yesterday when i went to the same store to pick up some supplies, his right eye was shut.

I told one of the employees and they took him out of his cage and applied some polysporin eye ointment onto his right eye. After that, he opened his eye for a bit.

So, I went back to the store today to see if he was doing better. I was considering getting a refund but I wanted to see if he was back to 100% before I did so. When I saw him his eye was open. So I brought him home.

Anyways, now his eye is shut again and I'm worried it could cause future complications. I'm thinking I should bring him back. Whats you're oppinion?

could be a nutritional deficiency (which may be reversable) or a problem with the lighting he was under, or an infection, or he could just be an inferior animal (mother may have been malnourished, for example).

I would return him before you are too attached. Start with a healthy animal.

could be a nutritional deficiency (which may be reversable) or a problem with the lighting he was under, or an infection, or he could just be an inferior animal (mother may have been malnourished, for example).

Thats what I'm going to do. I found a nice, healthy female veiled just now when I was looking for a replacement uvb fixture.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Wait...

I just misted him with some warm water. His eye is now open but its looks pretty cloudy. Any ideas as to whats causing this? Could it be the ointment?

He's deffinitly not an inferior animal, the person that sold him got him from Harry. The lighting was a 5.0 tube light so i don't think that was the problem.
Probobly an infection.

It seems there is some sort of discharge there. He is contracting his eye muscles so it seems as if hes cleaning it. Anything else I can do to help this guy out?

If he is rubbing his eye- some serious time under a mister will help relieve the irritation. 30-60 minutes. He will flush the eye in the mist and rinse it out. Might not start using the mist for 20 minutes or so if he isn't used to it.

It probably will not be a "cure" for the problem though, unless he simply had an irritant in the eye. More likely it's something else- a light infection requiring antibiotic eye cream or vit-a problem or the like. A veterinarian would be best to troubleshoot it.

You really are better off with a different animal, as cold as that may sound to some people. Sometimes minor symptoms mask major problems for a while and sometimes symptoms like this can seemingly go away for several months after treatment and then flare up again, or sort of transform into other symptoms that manifest. Much better to start with a completely healthy animal.

He's deffinitly not an inferior animal, the person that sold him got him from Harry. The lighting was a 5.0 tube light so i don't think that was the problem.
Probobly an infection.

Which store told you they got a panther from me? I am hearing more and more references to my chams in stores that I never sold to any store or wholesaler.

For all you forum members. Please be careful when purchasing chams from retail stores. If they are claiming that the cham they are selling came from a reliable breeder, be careful. Most chain stores receive their chams from a central warehouse and they do not know who hatched them. Its far to easy to " name drop" just to make the sale.

Which store told you they got a panther from me? I am hearing more and more references to my chams in stores that I never sold to any store or wholesaler.

For all you forum members. Please be careful when purchasing chams from retail stores. If they are claiming that the cham they are selling came from a reliable breeder, be careful. Most chain stores receive their chams from a central warehouse and they do not know who hatched them. Its far to easy to " name drop" just to make the sale.

D&D, it is not a chain store. If you didn't then I'm sorry, but 2 people said that the cham was from you.

But you are the breeder and only you can surely know who you sold your animals to. So I must have been given false information by the seller.

To everyone who waas following this thread, the animal was returned and I was refunded.

I now have a healthy 5-6 month old healthy veiled.

Yeap. Unfortunately pet stores are using our names to sell their "God knows where" chams, I got a call from a guy not long ago, who was told some ambilobes (not very nice looking ones) were mine, and I haven't sold any chams to that store in almost a year.

So be careful, if you found this forum, then you will easily find reputable breeders in the sponsor section, dont risk it.

Back
Top Bottom