Eye problem!

beautiful chameleon! awesome colors, it must be a male isnt it? mines a female roughty the same size, so it must be about 3 mos old, and dosent have close to the colors yours has! can anybody please check my photo album, is it a female? i think it is. I hope she gets more impressive, if not it dosent matter i still love her very much and i dont think colors could change that!

He most likely had somethig in his eye and was able to expell it. Tell your dad its a pet, and he needs to have check-ups like every other pet. Seriously now, its for the better health of an animal.

thanks for looking, i didnt see a spur on her back feet, so darn cute though! I hope I can do everything properly, im trying so hard to make her as happy as possible!

We found a vet about an hour away that deals with reptiles and he is doing allot better today..both eyes open all the time almost..

Glad to hear he is doing better.

Eye infections can be nasty business, I had an anole die from one once, antibiotics and all.

I agree with the previous post that you should give him some pedialyte.

also any kind of extra nutrition you could give him would be really beneficial.

He needs extra nutrients to keep his immune system strong.

you could use turtle eye drops to flush out his eyes, It might not help-- but it couldn't hurt.

I'm not sure if flukers reptiaid is safe for chameleons, but if it is, you should give him some as it will meet/exceed their daily caloric requirements.

pedialyte is in the "baby" section in a drug store or grocery store. Buy the generic/store brand - much cheaper and exact same stuff. Once opened it must be refrigerated and looses its efficacy after 48 hours so get a small bottle.

Your other option is to make your own: water/sugar/salt - here's a recipe
* Ingredients:

1 quart of water
2-4 teaspoons of sugar (or 1-2 teaspoons of fructose)
1 teaspoon of salt

* Directions:

Boil water, add sugar (or fructose) and salt, then stir. Let it cool down.

Refrigerate what you do not use and do not keep it more than 48 hours; make a new batch.

You can put it in his dripper just keep in mind that since there is sugar in it (homemade or store bought) it can attract ants if you over do it and live in warm area or have an ant problem.

Repta-aid is great for chams. I have used it for a cham and my dragon. They generally like the taste. Don't force feed, once he gets a taste he will probably lick it off the spoon (comes with a small plastic spoon. It is generally used for severely dehydrated animals so only use it to supplemnet IF he is not eating regular food. Always good to have on hand for emergencies. There was a woman on another board a few years ago who had a rescue cham and could not eat by himself. She kept that little guy alive for months by hand feeding it daily with repta-aid.

I used to make the repta-aid with pedialyte instead of water. :)

lele

Howdy,

I've heard that there is a Pedialyte popsicle. If not I suppose that you could freeze Pedialyte for longer storage. Maybe in an ice cube tray...

1 more thing..he seems to open his eyes allot when he is around heat..If I move the heat lamp to right over him his eyes will open and when i put a space heater
(to heat my room, it gets cold) near him he opens up his eyes.he is also bulging his left eye and rubbing it allot more...is this good or bad?

I Still need help..On Lele's thread It states that a ruptured globe occurred because her cham had a dry eye and rubbed it to much...Could this be a possibility with curly? If I were to get drops for curly could this help..Oh..and this is the dumbest Q ever but, Is normal saline ok for drops or not..I was just wondering if cham drops were any different..I wasnt planning on using them though..(unless they are 100% OK)
Thanks
Mike C.

Back
Top Bottom