Eye problem

Luc

Hi,
I have noticed that eyes of my veiled are a bit 'puffy' 'bulgy'. I hope you know what I mean after seeing pictures. I'm worried that something might be wrong with him. I'm also attaching photos of my enclosure.
Kind regards
Luc
IMG_20190902_162101.jpg
IMG_20190902_162057.jpg
IMG_20190902_162456.jpg
IMG_20190902_162032.jpg
IMG_20190902_162030.jpg
IMG_20190902_162046.jpg
IMG_20190902_162035.jpg
IMG_20190902_162516.jpg
IMG_20190902_162025.jpg
IMG_20190902_162005.jpg

Hi There and welcome. He is extremely overweight... I am not sure if this has anything to do with his eyes bulging like that as others will chime in on this. But the casque should never be puffy like that. This means that he is already thoroughly fat throughout his body and encasing his organs if the casque is holding this much fat as well. It is very dangerous for them and they have much shorter lives due to health complications from obesity. Depending on what your feeding schedule is you will want to reduce what he is getting.

It would be very helpful to see a few full body pics. If it turns out that’s he’s fairly thin, then obesity might not be the problem. Several conditions can cause swelling, bulging, and protrusions. Gout, dropsy, too much/too little of a particular vitamin, or even a kidney infection can all cause fluid retention. Please post pics that display his entire body, from as many angles as you can.

I managed to make few more pics, I feed him every other day about 3 large feeders. Sometimes every 3 days. He's not keen to leave his enclosure so I only got one side of him. IMG_20190903_132436.jpg IMG_20190903_132549.jpg IMG_20190903_132548.jpg IMG_20190903_132509.jpg IMG_20190903_132456.jpg IMG_20190903_132541.jpg IMG_20190903_132514.jpg IMG_20190903_132451.jpg IMG_20190903_132440.jpg

Couple more. The one on the pothos was taken in February. He always had a bit larger casque than average I'd say.
IMG_20190214_132603.jpg
IMG_20190214_141229.jpg

He is obese. Highly unlikely it’s trash since both eyes are showing the same symptoms. He needs a vet.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - male veiled, 2 years. A year and 8 months in my care

◦ Handling - once a week, he used to be more friendly as a teenager after he got to a year he started to be a bit more reluctant to coming out.

◦ Feeding - Every 2-3 days. 3-4 feeders(locust, dubia, as a treat morio, stick bugs)

◦ Supplements - repashy calcium nod every feeding, repashy multivit every 2 weeks,

◦ Watering - exoterra monsoon automatic mister 2 minutes every 4 hours. Plus one or two hand misting sessions around 2 minutes each

◦ Fecal Description - white urate, brown solid feaces

◦ History - never had any problems

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - XL zoomed screen cage 2x2x4

◦ Lighting - arcadia single tub 12% for the last week as 6% blown

◦ Temperature - 90 at basking spot 75 ambient, high 60's at night. I got analogue temp reader and laser gun thermometer.

◦ Humidity - around 40 during the day, 80+ at night

◦ Plants - 2 live plants pothos and wandering jew, I've got bamboo lattice on the side with fake leaves, and couple fake vines inside

◦ Placement - front room, not far from window but we don't open them. It's on the stand

◦ Location - Plymouth, UK

Current Problem - as in OP

Filling the form I realised that the uvb light might be too strong for him. Could that be the reason?

I've noticed it on Friday and the bulb was changed on monday 11 days earlier. However, I used to run that bulb for 3 months before and there were no similar symptoms. Then I changed it to 6% because i read its too strong.

Back
Top Bottom