Eye problem

Phoenixcham

For the last couple of weeks my male panter chameleon who is 3 years old has had some trouble with his left eye.

At the beginning we noticed he was closing it during the day quite frequently and near the front of his eye socket looked a bit swollen so we frequently gave him showers and spray him. When we took photos zoomed in it looked like there was a discharged/mucus build up at the bottom of his eye so we thought it may be an eye infection so we kept giving him daily showers and it seemed to help as he started to not close his eyes as much and the swelling went down. (1st pic)

However today I noticed his eye looked a bit mishapen on the bottom of his eyelid? With what looks like a blackish crust. Any ideas on how to help him without a vet? (2nd pic)

Attachments

• 482A2098-5AEF-47D7-80BA-7722884C8907.png
    482A2098-5AEF-47D7-80BA-7722884C8907.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 24338FFF-BC4D-4726-8509-53DD0C0C56EB.png
    24338FFF-BC4D-4726-8509-53DD0C0C56EB.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
If it were just some irritation I’d be comfortable with discussing at home remedies with you but his eye is actually starting to deform. Please take him to the vet.

If it were just some irritation I’d be comfortable with discussing at home remedies with you but his eye is actually starting to deform. Please take him to the vet.
That shape change happens with vitamin deficiencies! Vitamins are not home remedies! But I agree, let the vet test him for deficiencies (most likely vitamin A)! Getting his levels up with intensive therapy is probably not a bad idea. He will probably need a vitamin injection!

That shape change happens with vitamin deficiencies! Vitamins are not home remedies! But I agree, let the vet test him for deficiencies (most likely vitamin A)! Getting his levels up with intensive therapy is probably not a bad idea. He will probably need a vitamin injection!
Would it also create the “black crust?” Or is the crust just a reaction to the deformity?

That looks like the inner part of the eyelid (mucous membrane loaded with goblet sells for hydrating the eye) pulled loose from the eye and dried up, forming the dark stuff you see. The connective tissue (stuff that holds things together in the body) needs vitamin C and A and the full array of amino acids as well as minerals to be able to form and maintain healthy tissue. Malnourished individuals en up with connective tissue problems such a joint disease, slow healing wounds and the break down of fast replicating tissue such as epithelial tissue. Using a proper gutload for feeding your insects that you feed your chameleon and having proper high quality lighting allong with having a well hydrated chameleon receiving proper vitamin and mineral supplementation is what chameleon health is all about!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom