Eye problem??? w/ pic's

kgallego

Anyone have an idea what this is about? I noticed it yesterday. He can't really see at all out of it. His other eye is fine.

Looks like it might be discharge from an eye irritation or infection. Have you tried a long shower or tried flushing it? That might help clear it so that he can see out of it, but if it's an infection (which is my hunch), it will need to be treated with medication from a vet. I think you should schedule an appointment.

Probably Terramycin. It is an antibiotic eye ointment.

Thanks Carrol. I tried some squirting a little bit of hydrogen peroxide into it this morning. If it doesn't appear to be getting any better by tomorrow then I'll try Terramycin. I know I can get it at the feed store because my dad uses it for his cattle. I'll just dilute it significantly and calculate it relative to body weight.

Going to a good reptile vet would be best, but there isn't one in my area and can't be running to the vet every time my cham's have an issue. $117 a trip to learn nothing from them isn't going to do me or my cham's any good.

Thanks for this information. It's very helpful.

Thanks Carrol. I tried some squirting a little bit of hydrogen peroxide into it this morning. If it doesn't appear to be getting any better by tomorrow then I'll try Terramycin. I know I can get it at the feed store because my dad uses it for his cattle. I'll just dilute it significantly and calculate it relative to body weight.

Going to a good reptile vet would be best, but there isn't one in my area and can't be running to the vet every time my cham's have an issue. $117 a trip to learn nothing from them isn't going to do me or my cham's any good.

Thanks for this information. It's very helpful.

Am I reading this correctly? You put hydrogen peroxide in its eye?? :eek: Try a google search on 'hydrogen peroxide in eye' and see what you get! :mad:

Washing can work if there is a little bit of dirt or something in a chameleon's eye, but I believe I can see some swollen tissue, which indicates an infection. I seriously recommend you visit your vet, ESPECIALLY considering the hydrogen peroxide. Don't start any treatment until you had a professional diagnose the exact problem. The eye of a chameleon is vulnerable and of vital importance for its survival in the long run.

If you learn nothing from your vet, I recommend you search for a better one. In my own collection have seen a number of different chameleon eye-problems over the years, demanding different treatments. Every treatment was prescribed by a reptile vet and about 90% were successful. I have also seen many kinds of advice about eye-problems from people on forums etc., but none of those ever recommended the (working) medicines I got from my vet.

And if you refuse to go to a vet, because the trip isn't worth it, then ask yourself if you have chosen the right hobby.

Am I reading this correctly? You put hydrogen peroxide in its eye?? :eek: Try a google search on 'hydrogen peroxide in eye' and see what you get! :mad:

Washing can work if there is a little bit of dirt or something in a chameleon's eye, but I believe I can see some swollen tissue, which indicates an infection. I seriously recommend you visit your vet, ESPECIALLY considering the hydrogen peroxide. Don't start any treatment until you had a professional diagnose the exact problem. The eye of a chameleon is vulnerable and of vital importance for its survival in the long run.

If you learn nothing from your vet, I recommend you search for a better one. In my own collection have seen a number of different chameleon eye-problems over the years, demanding different treatments. Every treatment was prescribed by a reptile vet and about 90% were successful. I have also seen many kinds of advice about eye-problems from people on forums etc., but none of those ever recommended the (working) medicines I got from my vet.

And if you refuse to go to a vet, because the trip isn't worth it, then ask yourself if you have chosen the right hobby.

I absoloutely agree!

Washing can work if there is a little bit of dirt or something in a chameleon's eye, but I believe I can see some swollen tissue, which indicates an infection. I seriously recommend you visit your vet, ESPECIALLY considering the hydrogen peroxide. Don't start any treatment until you had a professional diagnose the exact problem. The eye of a chameleon is vulnerable and of vital importance for its survival in the long run.......

I absoloutely agree!

Ferdy - Believe me, I spoke with a family friend vet before I did anything (he's 1000 miles away in Colorado). It was his idea to use the hydrogen peroxide. I don't have a good reptile vet available near me.

I appreciate your thoughts, but I do not appreciate your rude comments, "Am I reading this correctly? You put hydrogen peroxide in its eye?? :eek: Try a google search on 'hydrogen peroxide in eye' and see what you get! :mad:" ....and....And if you refuse to go to a vet, because the trip isn't worth it, then ask yourself if you have chosen the right hobby.

Before you assume that the hydrogen peroxide is a bad idea, before you pass angry judgement, maybe YOU need to do your homework on it and get back on google.

Here is what his eye looks like 4 hours after the hydrogen peroxide. A believe this proves my point:

And Cait - If you agree with him, then this goes out to you also.

Ferdy - Believe me, I spoke with a family friend vet before I did anything (he's 1000 miles away in Colorado). It was his idea to use the hydrogen peroxide. I don't have a good reptile vet available near me.

I appreciate your thoughts, but I do not appreciate your rude comments, "Am I reading this correctly? You put hydrogen peroxide in its eye?? :eek: Try a google search on 'hydrogen peroxide in eye' and see what you get! :mad:" ....and....And if you refuse to go to a vet, because the trip isn't worth it, then ask yourself if you have chosen the right hobby.

Before you assume that the hydrogen peroxide is a bad idea, before you pass angry judgement, maybe YOU need to do your homework on it and get back on google.

Here is what his eye looks like 4 hours after the hydrogen peroxide. A believe this proves my point:

And Cait - If you agree with him, then this goes out to you also.
I apologize if I've offended you but I actually did a search on hydrogen peroxide in eyes, if your vet said it's ok that's different

And I just spoke with my vet again on the Hydrogen Peroxide issue. He said, "It can irritate the eyes, but a small squirt of it will not do any damage. It works effectively to clean off any infection."

Turns out, it worked great. His eye looks 100%.

And I just spoke with my vet again on the Hydrogen Peroxide issue. He said, "It can irritate the eyes, but a small squirt of it will not do any damage. It works effectively to clean off any infection."

Turns out, it worked great. His eye looks 100%.

Very glad to hear it!

I apologize if I've offended you but I actually did a search on hydrogen peroxide in eyes, if your vet said it's ok that's different

You didn't, but that Ferdy angered me. Apology accepted.

What is it about people? Whenever an animal has an issue, they immediate jump to the conclusion that it's a "cruelty to animals" case. Makes me so mad.

Back
Top Bottom