Eye Ointment?

CamiGirl89

Just ordered this Puralube Vet Eye-Ointment today, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and chameleons? Has anyone ever used it on any infections, eye-lid scratches, etc? What do you other cham keepers think out there?

412xa%2B0IXKL.jpg

It won't do anything at all to help infections.
It is a lubricant only and I think it would be better used on warm blooded creatures, since it won't thin out/melt in your chams eye.
The ingredients are petrolatum (a.k.a. Vaseline) and light mineral oil.
You'd be better off with a sterile saline solution, IMHO.

I was never given ointment by my vet for my chams eye problems, only Baytril which didn't help at all on numerous occasions and applications. I have since used "Polysporin for Red Eye", which is an antibiotic drop for eyes that can be bought over the counter. When Camo's eyes are really bad he gets a drop in each eye and seems to help clean out the goop and clear up his eyelids. I recommend trying it!

I have since used "Polysporin for Red Eye", which is an antibiotic drop for eyes that can be bought over the counter. When Camo's eyes are really bad he gets a drop in each eye and seems to help clean out the goop and clear up his eyelids. I recommend trying it!

I would love to have this in a home first aid kit but it is not available in the USA--only to Canada.

Although maybe after our government healthcare kicks in next year, we'll be able to buy it here.

Thanks for the tips! I figured it might be handy to have around, now that I have 5 of these scaly guys. Bagheera, especially, is good at finding ways to bruise himself... He has a very pouty lip from hitting it on his cage when he was little :p Never hurts to make a first aid kit!

Back
Top Bottom