Eye-lid won't close properly; is there a name for this condition?

EvilLost

Just a random question....Clark's eyelid does not close properly at times. I was really worried about this the first time I witnessed it but since then I have seen it several other times. He does not seem bothered or really even aware of it

Also, whenever I spray him, he always ran away blindly while closing his eyes (to the point that he would fall at times). I thought this had something to do with him hating water but over time I believe it is because his eyelid does not close properly and so water goes in his eyes and it bothers him.

Not really concerned about his health regarding this, but I am curious if others have seen it or if there is known medical terminology regarding it.

PICS HERE: https://picasaweb.google.com/Mani.Arabi/PetHealthAndDiagnostics?authkey=Gv1sRgCLrzvMHE-uypHg

(the first half are regarding his bruise related to in another post, the second half are his eye at various times, all showing the odd eyelid).

Has this been an ongoing problem? Have you tried a saline rinse?

Fill out the how to ask for help form. :)

What are you gut loading with and how are you supplementing? I would recommend a vet visit. Looking back at your older threads this has been going on way too long. There's some good cham vets in your area.

Dr. Stein
VCA McClave Animal Hospital
Phone: 1-818-881-5102
Fax: 1-818-881-2831
6950 Reseda Boulevard
Reseda, CA 91335

Tom Greek, DVM
Greek & Associates Veterinary Hospital, 23687 Via Del Rio, Yorba Linda - (714) 463-1190 or (866) 940-7028

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther, roughly 7 months old, in my care since 1/24/11
Handling - Not often, few times a week
Feeding - Dubias, gutloaded with random veggies and flukers calc+ cricket food.
Supplements - Rep-cal: Cal daily, cal+d3/multivit alternating sundays (2x month)
Watering - Hand mist multiple times a day. He drinks regularly both from leaves and he recognizes the spray nozzle, will drink directly from it.
Fecal Description - White urate with brown fece. Regular colored and pretty consistent. Poops 1x a day.
History - He has eye irritation for a long time, but I never thought it was related to this...I guess it could be (the irritation does not occur when the "ghost eye" occurs nor vice versa)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Free range, roughly 4'x4'x8' of climbing space. plenty big.
Lighting - 5.0 reptisun; 60W incandescent
Temperature - 72-75 in the cool; 85 in the basking spot.
Humidity - 50%ish, sometimes a little lower. Aside from handmisting I have a room humidifier under his setup I run for 12hrs a day.
Plants - Ficus, pothos, money tree, and some long sticks.
Placement - Next to my computer and sliding glass door (but not next to the open window...ie no breeze on him but good light).
Location - Orange County, California

There are 2 different things going on with his eye:

1) The above pictured eyelid does not close properly. He shows no issues from this nor does he seem to realize it.

2) His pupil vanishes (empty eye socket, its just white inside). He does this only with his right eye and not very often. I *think* he is rotating the eye inward into the turret and the blank white I see almost seems like an extra layer of skin/coating...i'm not familiar enough with their anatomy tho.

He has eye irritation on his right eye on occasion, I do apply terramycin and it resolves. However, the issue is recurring.

just noticed a strange black growth on the side of his head....

and i really liked tom greek's website, making an appt for monday morning!

how did the vet visit go.. i have the same problem with my chameleon.. The problem started happening after he shed. Now he cant close his right eye

Back
Top Bottom