Eye issues

Landen

So my veiled chameleons right and left eyes have started to puff or swell up a few weeks ago. I've read a few things online and tried giving more vitamin A and asked a the very reputable breeder that we got him from what to do and she said give him certain eye drops and wait a bit but they're still puffy. I am taking him to vet this weekend but is there any additional info I should know of? Also he has two uvb plant lights and one heat light. Here's some photos. Idk if this could have anything to do with it but his clean up crew is centipedes

So my veiled chameleons right and left eyes have started to puff or swell up a few weeks ago. I've read a few things online and tried giving more vitamin A and asked a the very reputable breeder that we got him from what to do and she said give him certain eye drops and wait a bit but they're still puffy. I am taking him to vet this weekend but is there any additional info I should know of? Also he has two uvb plant lights and one heat light. Here's some photos. Idk if this could have anything to do with it but his clean up crew is centipedes
View attachment 250993View attachment 250994View attachment 250995View attachment 250996View attachment 250997
His folliage is ficus, schefflera, hibiscus and a little pothos. Diet is large crickets, superworms, hornworms and sometimes Butterworths and waxworms and I know I should give him more waxworms but when we buy them they're half dead or really bad quality so I breed my own crickets and superworms and am going to start breeding hornworms and waxworms

Hello and welcome to the forum! If you'd like a husbandy review, please fill out the following form and experienced members will take a look. Please include a picture of your enclosure lights down.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

I'm not by any means a vet or expert... especially on veileds. That being said, I noticed what appear to be a few other issues that may be causing this "eye issue". Can't really make out much from the photos... but this is what I came up with:

Screenshot_20191109-211932_Chrome.jpg

The red circle definitely looks like some for of abscess, visible from the picture of the front on look.

Orange circle - the lips aren't meeting properly and you can see the gum line. No good.

Blue circle - I couldn't really tell from any of the photos, is this a "bump" or just a weird photo angle?

I also noticed the crown has a jog in it, but that looks to be old trauma. Do you have any better photos, preferably of the whole cham?

Definitely be sure to fill out the form Beman posted... I noticed a lot of debris in your cage which is usually not recommended for chams as they tend to ingest random stuff thought the cage. Debris also leads to bacterial/fungal/insect growth unless you have spot on bio active substrate and proper drainage. [All the more reason to fill out the form]

I guess it's a moot point as you're already going to the vet... but I'd be sure to gather as much info as you can to point the vet in the right direction.

Best wishes!

I'm not by any means a vet or expert... especially on veileds. That being said, I noticed what appear to be a few other issues that may be causing this "eye issue". Can't really make out much from the photos... but this is what I came up with:

View attachment 251004

The red circle definitely looks like some for of abscess, visible from the picture of the front on look.

Orange circle - the lips aren't meeting properly and you can see the gum line. No good.

Blue circle - I couldn't really tell from any of the photos, is this a "bump" or just a weird photo angle?

I also noticed the crown has a jog in it, but that looks to be old trauma. Do you have any better photos, preferably of the whole cham?

Definitely be sure to fill out the form Beman posted... I noticed a lot of debris in your cage which is usually not recommended for chams as they tend to ingest random stuff thought the cage. Debris also leads to bacterial/fungal/insect growth unless you have spot on bio active substrate and proper drainage. [All the more reason to fill out the form]

I guess it's a moot point as you're already going to the vet... but I'd be sure to gather as much info as you can to point the vet in the right direction.

Best wishes!

View attachment 251004

Best wishes!
I will get more photos tomorrow for u as he's sleeping right now and one thing that u pointed out with the circles. I've noticed that for a while and was also going to ask the vet about that. He's had an infection in his mouth before so I'm scared it could have came back and be effecting his eye. Other than that he seems healthy he eats everyday. We put 2 different calcium on his food depending on the day. He actually loves coming out of his cage. Never forced and only comes out when he says (basically scratchs the corner of the door till I come and I'll put my hand out and he'll climb right on. the debri on the bottom is dead folliage and a few apple slices I put in to help motivate the hibiscus to flower and a treat for the clean up crew ( I keep a decent amount of dead leafs for the clean up crew to hide ). I clean his cage monthly but has been delayed for hockey reasons. I used organic soil with no fertilizer so my chameleon won't get hurt if he decides to eat the soil and so my clean up crew won't get sick by accidently eating the fertilizer. I will be adding isopods and possibly spring tails. I plan on making it a small natural ecosystem with no fake plants, natural fertilizer/decomposition and not something I even planned for was crickets reproducing in it which is helpful. As of right now I have no fake plants, half the clean up crew, and will also be adding decomposers to it to produce natural fertilizer. Also he's misted for 30 seconds 5 times a day

All of him from the side and one more of the eye/head from the side please.

View attachment 251004

Best wishes!

This look to the eyes I see in so many veiled and Panther chameleons...but I've never seen a definite answer to what causes it or if it ever looses the "bagginess". You need a vet for it.

Back
Top Bottom