Eye issues continue

Eshelton3

So it’s kind of hard to explain in the other post I made but….this is not my chameleon but this Is a video of the same thing my panther chameleon is doing. Is this normal?

Is this normal? Also what kind of thermometer do you use to check you temperature in your basking spot?
Yes, it is normal. What are your misting sessions like? Panthers seem to like to clean their eyes like that when they are misted.
I have a herpstat. It controls my basking fixture at the set temp I determine with a probe that hooks into the device.

Yes, it is normal. What are your misting sessions like? Panthers seem to like to clean their eyes like that when they are misted.
I have a herpstat. It controls my basking fixture at the set temp I determine with a probe that hooks into the device.
I’m going to have to look that up, well where I got her from they said they listed at 7am,7pm, and 12am so that’s what I’m doing

I’m going to have to look that up, well where I got her from they said they listed at 7am,7pm, and 12am so that’s what I’m doing
Is the cham awake during those times? Like when are your lights turning on? If the cham is asleep then it does not give it the opportunity to clean its eyes if it needs it with the misting. Sometimes they get a little something in there, or a tiny piece of shed, sometimes they just like to get all up in the mist... I have a veiled that actually likes water. I have his misting kick on 15 minutes after his lights kick on and then in the evening before they all kick off. I also run 5 minute mistings. Gives him the time to not only drink but clean his eyes and chill in the mist.

Is the cham awake during those times? Like when are your lights turning on? If the cham is asleep then it does not give it the opportunity to clean its eyes if it needs it with the misting. Sometimes they get a little something in there, or a tiny piece of shed, sometimes they just like to get all up in the mist... I have a veiled that actually likes water. I have his misting kick on 15 minutes after his lights kick on and then in the evening before they all kick off. I also run 5 minute mistings. Gives him the time to not only drink but clean his eyes and chill in the mist.
No I don’t think she’s awake, I feel like
She sleeps too much in my own opinion

No I don’t think she’s awake, I feel like
She sleeps too much in my own opinion
What do you mean by sleeps too much.... If your misting when she is sleeping then she will not be able to clean the eye with water if she is needing it. Consider altering your misting time in the morning to 15 minutes after lights are on.

You said..."exactly what she is doing but she keeps it closed"...after the rubbing the eye is kept closed?

You said ..."She sleeps too much in my own opinion"...so she sleeps when the lights are on?

I've had my guy for some time now and we have certainly had ups and downs. awhile back he started to close one eye. I was using live plants and branches but had made the mistake of also using exoterra vines he would do this on them and hurt his eye pretty bad. (Built a new enclosure and went o'natural during quarantine) The fake vines tend to have a rough surface that flakes off on camtact and over time.
After reviewing my set up and husbandry I removed the vines and rebuilt an enclosure to the best of my abilities and budget.
For treatment of the eye at first I used some drops and started to mist more but ultimately the eye being closed was a major concern so I ended up taking him to the vet.

the vet did an irrigation for me to help remove any possible debris. It was a big stress relief and WELL worth the time and cost of a vet visit if your chameleon is closing an eye. It could be something simple like debris or perhaps a cricket got to the eye (this was one concern from my vet) gave a medicated ointment and we discussed husbandry (with vet and some folks on forum) I changed my misting schedule and started a warm water misting with a hand pump sprayer (the pressurized one so my hands and forearms didn't explode) this made sure that there was enough humidity and a regular "rain shower" to let him clean his eye

Side note if you do end up using an ointment it's very difficult to get it into the actual eye and not just on the edge. It's worth the extra effort to ensure it does the job. It was uncomfortable to towel my cham but every now and then it was needed.

I love my dude and try a good deal to provide a good health life for him take this as a loving cautionary tale. Make some observations review your set up and husbandry and don't take it personally if you need to make changes it will benefit your chameleon and you in the long run.

Cheers and best wishes

Attachments

• IMG951424.jpg
    IMG951424.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 36
You said..."exactly what she is doing but she keeps it closed"...after the rubbing the eye is kept closed?

You said ..."She sleeps too much in my own opinion"...so she sleeps when the lights are on?
Yes that is what appears she is doing and when she’s awake she is rubbing just like that

Back
Top Bottom