Eye issue or normal?

Kourt92

I noticed this morning my chameleons right eye seemed to be bothering him a little. He wiped it on his food dish as if trying to get something out of it. I don’t see anything in it but he doesn’t hold still for me with being so young still. In the beginning of the video you can see his right eye does a weird twitch type movement and then another towards the end. I’m not sure if this is normal or if I should take him in? He has them both open and looking around fine.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09pZ4ITm4z1DbP8RJFivPUl7w

Hi. The twitch movement is him blinking/cleaning his eye and is normal. Eye rubbing generally is not normal. Has he shed lately or appears to be getting close to shedding? Can you post some pics of your enclosure, including lights? What supplements are you using and what is the schedule?

I just realized I may have alarmed you…sorry. Some vines shed tiny particles that can get into cham eyes, colored lights or incorrect lighting can irritate eyes, shedding is an itchy time and sometimes little bits can get in the eye or irritate it. Lastly, incorrect supplements can effect the eyes.

Oh good!! He is probably close to shedding again? He shed the day I got him which was back on September 14. I’ve been using Calcium without D3 every feeding and then a multivitamin with D3 once a week. He eats crickets, silkworms, and some mealworms but not a lot as I know they aren’t good as a staple food. We had a hybrid cage but it was leaking so I ended up getting one of the hybrid dragon strand cages but it won’t be done until the end of October sometimes so for now I have the reptibreeze screen cage. It’s 18x18x36. This is the new temporary set up for now but planning to get rid of the bamboo because I read that’s not great for them and he seems to not be able to grab on to it very well. My light is a 5.0 UVB and I have a 75 watt basking bulb. His basking spot is about 83 degrees and the lower part of his cage is 75 degrees.

Attachments

• 6DF1A9E0-483C-4FEA-B4B6-E24F790CF7E7.jpeg
    6DF1A9E0-483C-4FEA-B4B6-E24F790CF7E7.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 73
I just realized I may have alarmed you…sorry. Some vines shed tiny particles that can get into cham eyes, colored lights or incorrect lighting can irritate eyes, shedding is an itchy time and sometimes little bits can get in the eye or irritate it. Lastly, incorrect supplements can effect the eyes.
Oh no I welcome any and all feedback!! I want to have everything he top notch for him and what he needs!

Oh good!! He is probably close to shedding again? He shed the day I got him which was back on September 14. I’ve been using Calcium without D3 every feeding and then a multivitamin with D3 once a week. He eats crickets, silkworms, and some mealworms but not a lot as I know they aren’t good as a staple food. We had a hybrid cage but it was leaking so I ended up getting one of the hybrid dragon strand cages but it won’t be done until the end of October sometimes so for now I have the reptibreeze screen cage. It’s 18x18x36. This is the new temporary set up for now but planning to get rid of the bamboo because I read that’s not great for them and he seems to not be able to grab on to it very well. My light is a 5.0 UVB and I have a 75 watt basking bulb. His basking spot is about 83 degrees and the lower part of his cage is 75 degrees.
From your pic, you have an Exo Terra vine, which can shed tiny particles and risk getting stuck in itchy shedding eyes. Try to get the foam type vines like Fluker’s or just use all branches. Bamboo gets very slick when wet and makes it hard for little cham feet to grip. Some sand it to make it more grippy or I just use branches I’ve collected from non sappy trees. (Wash with dish soap, rinse, dry and use)
Shedding is an itchy process and he may be rubbing his eyes if he’s starting to shed.
You need to reduce the use of your multivitamin with D3 to one feeding every other week.
Basking temp could be a bit lower to around 80.
Very important…is your uvb a screw in bulb or long tube?

From your pic, you have an Exo Terra vine, which can shed tiny particles and risk getting stuck in itchy shedding eyes. Try to get the foam type vines like Fluker’s or just use all branches. Bamboo gets very slick when wet and makes it hard for little cham feet to grip. Some sand it to make it more grippy or I just use branches I’ve collected from non sappy trees. (Wash with dish soap, rinse, dry and use)
Shedding is an itchy process and he may be rubbing his eyes if he’s starting to shed.
You need to reduce the use of your multivitamin with D3 to one feeding every other week.
Basking temp could be a bit lower to around 80.
Very important…is your uvb a screw in bulb or long tube?
Okay I’ll look into those now and get that vine out! I’ll reduce the vitamin use as well and raise his light some more as well thank you!! It’s a screw in UVB that screws in next to the basking bulb. Is that bad?

Attachments

• C88A4E9F-5185-4944-9787-57F8ECCF829E.jpeg
    C88A4E9F-5185-4944-9787-57F8ECCF829E.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 62
Okay I’ll look into those now and get that vine out! I’ll reduce the vitamin use as well and raise his light some more as well thank you!! It’s a screw in UVB that screws in next to the basking bulb. Is that bad?
Yes, the screw in bulb needs to be replaced with a linear T5 ho fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. The screw in bulbs are only able to provide adequate uvb levels in a very narrow area and only 2-3” down. With a T5 with the strength bulbs I gave, ideal uvb level is about 8-9” down and provides a much broader area. The ReptiSun needs to be replaced every 6 months (unless you have a solarmeter 6.5 to measure output) and Arcadia needs to be replaced yearly. Both are around the same price. You’ll want it to be as long as your enclosure is wide. I’ve gotten these and am happy with them. https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/t5-lighting/products/arcadia-prot5-6-uvb-bulb-with-hood

Yes, the screw in bulb needs to be replaced with a linear T5 ho fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. The screw in bulbs are only able to provide adequate uvb levels in a very narrow area and only 2-3” down. With a T5 with the strength bulbs I gave, ideal uvb level is about 8-9” down and provides a much broader area. The ReptiSun needs to be replaced every 6 months (unless you have a solarmeter 6.5 to measure output) and Arcadia needs to be replaced yearly. Both are around the same price. You’ll want it to be as long as your enclosure is wide. I’ve gotten these and am happy with them. https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/t5-lighting/products/arcadia-prot5-6-uvb-bulb-with-hood
It only comes in a 36inch length that I can find. Is that okay if his cage will be only
24 inches wide? Or should I go with this?
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/27637-zoo-med-repti-sun-led--uvb-fixture-24

Back
Top Bottom