Eye infection????

nhoj6465

Chameleon Info:I am worried that Machu has an eye infection in his right eye! I will attach pics so u can evaluate it better

Your Chameleon -Ambilobe,Male,4 months. In my care for 1 month.

Handling - A couple times a week if that. Since he is young I wanted him to get a lil bigger before I handle him.

Feeding -Crickets, and silkworms. Morning 4-5 sm crickets, afternoon 1 sm silkworm and at night 4 more sm crickets. The silkworms eat mulberry chow.They r fed every other day. The crickets eat wet cat food, water crystals.

Supplements -I have calcium, calcium w/D3, & herptivite made by Rep Cal. I dust feeders with calcium 5 x wk, calcium w/D3 1 x month, multi 1 x month. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Watering -I mist 3 - 4 times a day with a battery operated water sprayer. I spray 4 at least 1 full min. I see him drink everyday. He has only skipped a couple of days since I 've had him.

Fecal Description -They r brown formed stool w/ a white thing @ the end. No my cham has not been tested 4 parasites.

History -Ok well three nights ago I went to spray him and as I was he freaked out a lil started to run and lost his footing and fell about 2 foot before he caught himself on a limb.The next day I noticed his eye was squinted. I went on with my normal routine well today it looks different I will post pics!! I did wash his eye out with saline and gave him a lil rub of Vit A on a cricket.

Cage Info:

Cage Type -48"H X 18"D X 18"W Screen cage

Lighting -I have a 48" strip w/reptisun 5.0 UVB. I also have a 100 watt heat bulb that is about 6" away from the top screen. 12 hrs on 12 hrs off

Temperature -Cage floor about 70 degrees, Middle around 80, & top (basking) around 95-98 degrees Lowest overnight temp is 70 degrees. I have analog gauges n the cage n two diff areas and I use a digital 1xwk

Humidity -50% unless I mist then it gets up to 70%.I also use an analog for humidity.

Plants -I have all fake plants had lot of trouble with gnats so I got rid of them!!

Placement -It is located n front of a large window that has blinds. It is n my living room,vent is 4 foot away from it and the top of the cage is 6 foot away from the floor
Location -Louisville,Kentucky

Thank you for your time!!

I would lower the basking temps. asap to around 82 or 83. Try a 40 watt bulb.

I would not feed or mist in the late afternoon or evening. He would need to bask for several hours after eating to digest his food.

Calcium with d3 should be used twice a month.

I would get a vet check up for his eye and take along some fresh poop for a fecal. Do you have a good chameleon vet?

Howdy Carmen,

Thanks for the photo. That looks like a classic eye infection :(. Lately, Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution seems to be the drug of choice for treating this type of infection. Gentamicin was a common option but there are some potential side-effects depending on how much of it enters the system and reaches the kidneys.

Clear eye for reference:
Peek-a-boo.jpg

Permanent corneal scarring from improper treatment:
LeftEyeIMG_5245Mod1.jpg

I would lower the basking temps. asap to around 82 or 83. Try a 40 watt bulb.

I would not feed or mist in the late afternoon or evening. He would need to bask for several hours after eating to digest his food.

Calcium with d3 should be used twice a month.

I would get a vet check up for his eye and take along some fresh poop for a fecal. Do you have a good chameleon vet?

Ok thanks 4 the info! So the basking temps r to high?! I was wondering about his nails they seem a lil long can I clip the tips or should I leave them alone? I have a reptile vet here in town she specializes in exotics I hope she is good!

Howdy Carmen,

Thanks for the photo. That looks like a classic eye infection :(. Lately, Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution seems to be the drug of choice for treating this type of infection. Gentamicin was a common option but there are some potential side-effects depending on how much of it enters the system and reaches the kidneys.

Clear eye for reference:
Peek-a-boo.jpg

Permanent corneal scarring from improper treatment:
LeftEyeIMG_5245Mod1.jpg

Ok so would I deff have to take him to the vet or is the antibiotic availible elsewhere? Don't get me wrong I will take him if he needs to go but if I can save a lil $$ then that would b good too! I heard you can purchuse this kinds of things on LLL Reptiles website????? So with it being 3 days into the infection could it cause bad damage now??

Ok thanks 4 the info! So the basking temps r to high?! I was wondering about his nails they seem a lil long can I clip the tips or should I leave them alone? I have a reptile vet here in town she specializes in exotics I hope she is good!

Yeah, the basking temps are way to high. Like Jann said bring them down to the low to mid 80's. No need for clipping nails. Leave them be. Hope you can get his eye cleared up!

I guess the biggest question would be should I get him to a vet or will this kind of infection heal itself??? The only thing that I am doing is flushing w/saline.

I would also quit gutloading with catfood, too high in protein. I would also always have terramycin on hand. I apply when I notice a closed eye, but if it isn't working in two days something stronger from the vet is needed.

I would also quit gutloading with catfood, too high in protein. I would also always have terramycin on hand. I apply when I notice a closed eye, but if it isn't working in two days something stronger from the vet is needed.

So where can I get some terramycin???????????????

floxin/ ofloxacin

he really should see a vet if you are able, but if you are unable, like julirs says, sometimes terramycin will help. floxin/ofloxacin is supposedly available here no prescription ; http://www.fda-approved-rx.com/drugs_rx/653/Floxin_Ocuflox.htm although i have never ordered from here. since it usually comes in the form of an opthamalic solution, the indicated qty of 10 is presumably 10 ml.? jmo

Last edited:
he really should see a vet if you are able, but if you are unable, like julirs says, sometimes terramycin will help. floxin/ofloxacin is supposedly available here no prescription : although i have never order from here. since it usually comes in the form of an opthamalic solution, the indicated qty of 10 is presumably 10 ml.? jmo

Well just to be safe I will take him to vet in the morning!!

Hey, my panther chameleon has the same problem like yours. Its a bacteria inside his eye. Its actually pus. You should take him to the vet and ask him for a ure Test. The ure Test does alot of things for you Cham, first the doctor takes some pus out of the chameleons eye. Then he sends it to a reptile lab. Make sure the lab he sends it to is a reptile lab. not a human lab because the temp is different inside the place. Then when the bacteria is at the lab, The doctor there lets the bacteria grow. Then he tests different medications to see which one works the best for your chameleon. I know its weird that a 13 year old is telling you this, but it will really work. The Doctor told me that Mogley will be healthy and all happy in his cage in about a week or 2 from when ever I start giving him the meds. I get the meditation 2 days from today. The doctor told me that Mogley's medication has to be put in his mouth. (Its a liquid) It might be something else for you, but I really wish you the best with him and you! dont loose faith in him he will get better soon.
Blake Greeb.

Alright I took Machu to see a exotics Dr yesterday and she flushed his eye out and saw something in the corner of his eye and took a Q Tip and kinda rolled it out. It was tiny but it was n there and she got it out. The Doc sent us home with Tobramycin 1 drop 3 times a day. He is now moving his eye around like he's supposed to and today he started to shed so he is all over the cage rubbing his body on everything. Thanks everyone for your input!! It was really helpfull!

Back
Top Bottom