Eye infection?

AlexxSixNine

Chameleon - Male 6mo Nosy Mitsio Panther
  • Handling - Handled 2 times because I have only had him a week.
  • Feeding - I feed gut loaded crickets, I have seen him eat 3 different days around 3-4 crickets a day considering I haven't had him a full week.
  • Supplements - I dusted with zoo med calcium and calcium with D3. D3 calc.
  • Watering - I have the repti rain set up to mist every hour for 15 seconds at a time. If I am not home I set it to 3 times a day for 30 seconds at a time
  • Fecal Description - I have only seen him poop one time and it was kind of green ish and kind of white on the other side. It was gooey
  • History - I purchased him sunday and noticed his bad eye Monday morning. (4 days ago)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Mesh 18x18x36
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 compact fluorescent and 60W Zoo med daylight blue bulb in a duo deep dome lighting fixture.
  • Temperature - cage floor is around 70 F, middle of cage is 72-5 F, basking spot is 85 - 90 F. lowest overnight temp is 70 F
  • Humidity - misting and maintain them with the moss vines and sticks that retain moisture. I use a hygrometer placed on the middle of the cage
  • Plants - Only plastic but had moss at the bottom of the cage a big moss vine inside
  • Placement - Its not near any fans or air vents, I use fan to circulate air when I feel needed. The top of the cage relative to the room floor is about 6 foot high.
  • Location - Southern California
I purchased a Male Mitsio on sunday, he was perfectly fine when I bought him ( I bought him at the local LLL Reptile) Once we got home he was still active and everything. When I woke up Monday morning I noticed his left eye was a little closed but nothing crazy. Tuesday morning I realized his eye was still closed so I got the Turtle eye drops from zoomed containing Vitamin A which is what I read could be wrong with him. For 2 days I have been putting the drops and they help a little only after I do it for like 15 mins. Yesterday I was supposed to have a vet appointment but after a few people told me that they really suck with exotics and advised I didn't go because they had killed 3 of their chams last month. So I went to LLL reptile and they sold me Vetericyn Plus Eye Wash and although it helps as much as the eye drops, My cham still has his eye closed. Hes still able to catch crickets with one eye but I do not want him to suffer. Any help?
More pictures later when im off work.
Thanks!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 155
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 163
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 214
I think your humidity is just too low for him, my cham had the same problem with his right eye and once I upped the humidity it cleared right up. along with that your chameleons misting sessions should be 2 mins each and a 5 min mist every day.

on a side note your only supposed to use calcium with d3 twice a month, its the calcium without d3 that u should use twice even 3 times a week. also supplement with multivitamin

edit: it may be an infection though so let one of the other members check it out, this is just my two cents on it

Chameleon - Male 6mo Nosy Mitsio Panther
  • Handling - Handled 2 times because I have only had him a week.
  • Feeding - I feed gut loaded crickets, I have seen him eat 3 different days around 3-4 crickets a day considering I haven't had him a full week.
  • Supplements - I dusted with zoo med calcium and calcium with D3. D3 calc.
  • Watering - I have the repti rain set up to mist every hour for 15 seconds at a time. If I am not home I set it to 3 times a day for 30 seconds at a time
  • Fecal Description - I have only seen him poop one time and it was kind of green ish and kind of white on the other side. It was gooey
  • History - I purchased him sunday and noticed his bad eye Monday morning. (4 days ago)
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Mesh 18x18x36
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 compact fluorescent and 60W Zoo med daylight blue bulb in a duo deep dome lighting fixture.
  • Temperature - cage floor is around 70 F, middle of cage is 72-5 F, basking spot is 85 - 90 F. lowest overnight temp is 70 F
  • Humidity - misting and maintain them with the moss vines and sticks that retain moisture. I use a hygrometer placed on the middle of the cage
  • Plants - Only plastic but had moss at the bottom of the cage a big moss vine inside
  • Placement - Its not near any fans or air vents, I use fan to circulate air when I feel needed. The top of the cage relative to the room floor is about 6 foot high.
  • Location - Southern California
I purchased a Male Mitsio on sunday, he was perfectly fine when I bought him ( I bought him at the local LLL Reptile) Once we got home he was still active and everything. When I woke up Monday morning I noticed his left eye was a little closed but nothing crazy. Tuesday morning I realized his eye was still closed so I got the Turtle eye drops from zoomed containing Vitamin A which is what I read could be wrong with him. For 2 days I have been putting the drops and they help a little only after I do it for like 15 mins. Yesterday I was supposed to have a vet appointment but after a few people told me that they really suck with exotics and advised I didn't go because they had killed 3 of their chams last month. So I went to LLL reptile and they sold me Vetericyn Plus Eye Wash and although it helps as much as the eye drops, My cham still has his eye closed. Hes still able to catch crickets with one eye but I do not want him to suffer. Any help?
More pictures later when im off work.
Thanks!
Feed him more, the care sheet here has the proper amount of feeders per age. What do you gutload the crickets with? Try some other feeders, too! Use the plain calcium every feeding, calcium with D3 every two weeks, and get a multivitamin without D3 and use it every two weeks, as well. Get a MistKing once you can afford it, until then, set the mister to one minute per misting session. He’ll need a minimum cage size of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall upgrade soon. Get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture; use Arcadia (6%) or Zoo Med (5.0) for the bulb. Get rid of the blue light and get either a regular white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store or a white light reptile basking bulb (doesn’t last as long as a bulb from the hardware store). Try to keep the basking spot between 85-87*F. Chams need a temp drop at night, so don’t worry about how cold it gets at night unless it goes beneath 60*F, in which case, use a low wattage ceramic heat emitter. What is the humidity? Use live cham-safe plants and at minimum of 3, but preferably more, misting sessions for at minimum of 2 minutes, but preferably for 5 minutes, a piece to help raise humidity. Make sure to have a drainage system set up, too. Go to another exotics vet with cham experience. When you mist, make sure to gently mist your cham as well, for they need it to clean out their eyes. Could you post a pic of his cage, please? Great job on acting on this fast!

I would start with a long hand misting or shower of 5-15 minutes. You want to see him drink and clean his eyes.
"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."

There he is

Attachments

• 73B9F570-98B3-4A91-A01D-7A5E6BA7ABB1.jpeg
    73B9F570-98B3-4A91-A01D-7A5E6BA7ABB1.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 837986C1-FE07-41EE-A72E-C6876FFA0185.jpeg
    837986C1-FE07-41EE-A72E-C6876FFA0185.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom