Eye infection on chameleon?

Barson

My mother’s veiled ha really big eyes, they seem to puff up like this every once in a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 82
Yep, those eyes look swollen to me--but I tagged Beman who has three veiled chameleons who will be able to confirm if this is unusual. While we wait for Beman to confirm that his eyes are swollen, do you know how long his eyes have looked like this? What are the humidity levels in his enclosure?

Do they go up like this then reduce to normal quite quickly?

If so it is very normal. Typically they are cleaning their eyes.

Do they go up like this then reduce to normal quite quickly?

If so it is very normal. Typically they are cleaning their eyes.
I'm not sure if my veiled has an eye infection or not. Ive seen him rub them twice on some leaves but I can't tell if one or both is swollen or not

What are your supplements and uvb?
I've been using d3 so far that all I've been using but plan on getting some more vitamins ASAP. I have two 5.5 deep dome lamps. One has a 13 watt uvb bulb and the other has a 60 watt daytime blue heat bulb. His lights go on at 9:00 am and off at 9:00 pm.

I've been using d3 so far that all I've been using but plan on getting some more vitamins ASAP. I have two 5.5 deep dome lamps. One has a 13 watt uvb bulb and the other has a 60 watt daytime blue heat bulb. His lights go on at 9:00 am and off at 9:00 pm.
Ok so you will need calcium without d3 almost every feeding, then you will need calcium with d3 and a multivitamin without d3. Your going to use them twice a month each. Or you can get a multivitamin with d3 and use that twice a month, which ever works.

You will need a t5 24 inch linear uvb fixture, and a 22 inch 5.0 bulb. I suggest looking up Reptisun t5 5.0, and there are lots of places to order it from. If you do not get these supplements and uvb, the cham will die of metabolic bone disease. This is most likely the cause of the eye infection (if it is an eye infection, which it probably is) you need to get these asap before he gets worse. Also, are you sure it is a male? Does it have tarsal spurs?

I'm not sure it is a male, that's just what they told me at petsmart when I got him
Post pictures of the back feet, do you understand the importance of the supplements and uvb? Feel free to ask any questions, I just need you to know that your chameleons life depends on these changes

Post pictures of the back feet, do you understand the importance of the supplements and uvb? Feel free to ask any questions, I just need you to know that your chameleons life depends on these changes
I do understand the importance of the supplements and uvb. Do you have any specific suggestions on multivitamins with d3? Also I've been told different types of lights and I'm just having trouble deciding which one to get. Others have told me to get a 24 in TH50 with 6% or 5.0. This is the best pic I could get right now without moving him I hope it is effecient enough. I am planning on taking him to the vet for a checkup soon. I am also planning on putting a pothos plant in there tomorrow after I wash it and replant it in organic soil.
Snapchat-602593708.jpg

I do understand the importance of the supplements and uvb. Do you have any specific suggestions on multivitamins with d3? Also I've been told different types of lights and I'm just having trouble deciding which one to get. Others have told me to get a 24 in TH50 with 6% or 5.0. This is the best pic I could get right now without moving him I hope it is effecient enough. I am planning on taking him to the vet for a checkup soon. I am also planning on putting a pothos plant in there tomorrow after I wash it and replant it in organic soil.View attachment 300205
Yep you have a boy, a 5.0 is easier to get a hold of rather than a 6%, they are simply different brands, the 5.0 being Reptisun and the 6% being Arcadia. As long as you have a 24 inch t5, then it's up to you whether you get a 5.0 or 6%, they are pretty much the same, you will need to replace the uvb bulb every 6 months if it is a 5.0, a 6% can be changed once a year. This is important because the amount if uvb being given off depletes after some time. These are my supplements, all that matter is that you have a calcium without d3, a calcium with d3, and a multivitamin with out d3, all phosphorus free, which it will say on the container.

Attachments

• 16200056386414241622672038578323.jpg
    16200056386414241622672038578323.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 48
Yep you have a boy, a 5.0 is easier to get a hold of rather than a 6%, they are simply different brands, the 5.0 being Reptisun and the 6% being Arcadia. As long as you have a 24 inch t5, then it's up to you whether you get a 5.0 or 6%, they are pretty much the same, you will need to replace the uvb bulb every 6 months if it is a 5.0, a 6% can be changed once a year. This is important because the amount if uvb being given off depletes after some time. These are my supplements, all that matter is that you have a calcium without d3, a calcium with d3, and a multivitamin with out d3, all phosphorus free, which it will say on the container.
Thanks so much I really appreciate that and will be ordering everything tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom