Eye infection? Need serious advice

Rjsmommy

My veiled chameleon is about a year old and has been rubbing his left eye on branches and rolling it around, recently he won't even open it anymore and will rarely open the right one. He isn't moving as much and is letting us handle him and he will stay in our hands when he usually hisses and won't let our hands come near him. We tried to flush it out with saline solution for babies and he rolled it around but his eye is still closed and he acts lethargic. This started on Friday.

Same thing was happening to my Panther . I tried all the home remedies and nothing worked... He eventually died a few months later. Recommend you find a vet who specializes in chameleons or exotic reptiles ASAP or you will lose him like I lost mine.

I agree with Tyzoone. You need to bring him to the vet. Preferably one that has had experience with chameleons.

One of my panther chameleons had an eye infection. I brought him in the same day I noticed that he wasn't opening his eye. The vet prescribed antibiotic eyedrops, and he has been fine. The hardest part was finding a vet that had chameleons experience, and was up to date on the medications available to treat them.

My chameleon had an eye issue recently, so you might find some useful information in my prior thread. It may or may not be a different issue, since yours was rubbing its eye on things. But a vet is really important, antibiotic eye drops might be prescribed for your chameleon at first, but eye problems are quick to spread and REALLY need to be treated ASAP.

This was my guy's eye infection thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/nasolacrimal-duct-obstruction-143618/index6.html

Sorry to hear he has an eye problem!

Is he keeping hydrated?

I agree with everyone, take him to a vet right away. There isn't too much you can do without a vet's help when it comes to eyes.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

Eye infections tend to start from the outside (cornea, conjuntiva, eyelids) and tend to spread to the inside (sorry for the english) , foreign bodies can cause conjunctivitis and more serious problems if not treated, but it already affected the other eye, so , most probably its an infection. conjunctivits, keratitis, blepharitis (the outside diseases) are more easy to resolve, but if not treated you may deal with spread to the inside of the eye ( in humans most common ,sinus and brain) and thats a whole different bad story, (but also can be treated sometimes) so act quickly...

Seems the infection could have spread hopefully just to the right eye. most probably he needs topical antibiotics, take him to the VET ASAP. drops and ointment, you need to find a very gentle way to open his eyes to apply medication direct to cornea and conjunctiva. (in serious consideration to also give systemic antibiotics ...VET needs to explore him ) Best luck :)

Back
Top Bottom