Eye help! please!

chuckie127

Hi my chameleon has developed a yellowy orange seal over his eye and its shut, his other eye is closed too, i have been using saline water and misting extra with warm water and booked him in vets tommorow.. just wondering what do you think it could be?

is the tube located outside the viv? i would give long mistings to help soften seal over the eye, i tihnk i have had the same problem with a female panther this year. the actual hole in the turret was overed over with a milky look to it. i was very scared when i saw it but i just held her over my bath tub and gave her long mists and it cleared up.

my chams other eye was not closed tho, what supplements do you use?

rob

You know, I wouldn't be able to tell you but i'm sure if you do a quick search on the forums you'll run into some information on it. I like many others use a 5.0 Reptisun along with a 60 watt house bulb for his basking area and have had no eye problems at all. If you can, i'd suggest going with those 2 bulbs and set them on top of the cage instead of inside. Don't know if it's ok to set them up inside but every other Cham set up I have seen, the lights are at top of the cage. :D Good luck and let us know how the Vet. visit goes.

i place my uv tubes outside the cage. they are on the roof of the vivarium over mesh. the mesh does filter out uv. i use exo terra repti-glo 10% uv tubes, but like i said the mesh filters some of the uv, my vivariums are tall and there are plenty of places for the cham to get out of the uv light if he/she wants.

rob

im having the same problem with my panthers eye,one day it is open one day its closed.I was treating him with bacitracin and he hates it......i dont know what else to do.

got back from the vets yesterday, :) just found out he had not shred properly she said it had nothing to do with his lighting he just could not complete the shed, and she said i should bath him and hes had a poo sample done and he has some lubrication for his eye and some anti inflamitry :) but at the moment hes refusing to eat just dont have the energy im feeding him baby food, anyone else know what else i could try? also i cant put the lighting on the outside as he is in a wooden vivarium with glass sliding doors :) thanks p.s I love this forum!

The reptisun 10, from what I've read is too much if inside the cage...maybe even outside the cage.

There is a heath check list here that you should definitely fill out and provide to the community. Some real experts around in all of this stuff.

i too am having the same problem with my cham. sometimes there is a semi clear milky goo over one of his eye's. i just mist him and let droplets of water run on his eye and it clears up. i dont know what the deal is.

oh i found it.. Here i go!
Your Chameleon - It is a yemen chameleon in my care, it will be 2 years old in may next year, i have had him since he was 4 weeks old. Gizmo is a male.
Handling - I handle gizmo (my chameleon) everyday
Feeding - I feed him a mixture of Crickets, Mealworms as he does not like locusts, I gut load them with fruit and veg such as apples and carrots and potatoes, He eats about 15 crickets each feeding and gets fed 2 times a day so about 30 crickets. He has one feed in the morning and one in the evening.
Supplements - I use neutrobol to dust the live foods, I dust them either everyday or every other.
Watering - I use boiled water from the kettle, and let it cool, then i put it in the misting bottle and in his water fountain, I have seen him drink and he drinks from my hand, I mist daily about 2 times each day and spray the plants and log but the humidity keeps going down and down, so i am having to spray more.
Fecal Description - His fecal's are normally brown and white which is like usual, He normally Poo's everyday, but since his troubles he has not been pooing, eating or drinking so the vet told me to feed him baby food, and give him water through a suringe.
History - When he was about 2 months old he had fungal infection due to a lot of humidity but it cleared up adter a day.

Cage Type - The cage Gizmo is in is a wooden silver cage, thats 4ft high and glass doors which are sliding, In his cage he has a big log, waterfall, plants which are fake and a rock at the bottom, (will post a pic in a min) its 2ft wide and 1.5ft depth.
Lighting - Repti glo bulb 10.0 and he has a basking bulb which is infa red and is a 60watt. The Uvb light is on for 12 hours a day.
Temperature - The temperature is about 90 degrees i use a thermometer and a thermostat to keep these levals. Lowest over night temp is 75 degrees and i messure them by a thermometer.
Humidity - The humidity is between 50 and 60% and i use a hydrometer to messure it.
Plants - No
Placement - It is in my bed room, ontop of my leopard gecko viv, its quiet tall, but theres about 1 foot between the top of his viv and the roof of my bed room.
Location - I am located in the united kingdom in england.

Current problem, Is his eyes which is also posted in this thread. thanks everybody! and a happy new year!

Your Chameleon - It is a yemen chameleon in my care, it will be 2 years old in may next year, i have had him since he was 4 weeks old. Gizmo is a male.Nice!! i want to see some pics!!!
Handling - I handle gizmo (my chameleon) everyday Love the name.
Feeding - I feed him a mixture of Crickets, Mealworms as he does not like locusts, I gut load them with fruit and veg such as apples and carrots and potatoes, He eats about 15 crickets each feeding and gets fed 2 times a day so about 30 crickets. He has one feed in the morning and one in the evening.
Supplements - I use neutrobol to dust the live foods, I dust them either everyday or every other. nutrobal has d3. i would personally dust with nutrobal once every other week and get some plain calcium w/o d3 for every feeding.
Watering - I use boiled water from the kettle, and let it cool, then i put it in the misting bottle and in his water fountain, I have seen him drink and he drinks from my hand, I mist daily about 2 times each day and spray the plants and log but the humidity keeps going down and down, so i am having to spray more. waterfalls look sweet but if you dont clean regularly that is not a healthy source of hydration.
Fecal Description - His fecal's are normally brown and white which is like usual, He normally Poo's everyday, but since his troubles he has not been pooing, eating or drinking so the vet told me to feed him baby food, and give him water through a suringe.
History - When he was about 2 months old he had fungal infection due to a lot of humidity but it cleared up adter a day.

Cage Type - The cage Gizmo is in is a wooden silver cage, thats 4ft high and glass doors which are sliding, In his cage he has a big log, waterfall, plants which are fake and a rock at the bottom, (will post a pic in a min) its 2ft wide and 1.5ft depth.
Lighting - Repti glo bulb 10.0 and he has a basking bulb which is infa red and is a 60watt. The Uvb light is on for 12 hours a day.
Temperature - The temperature is about 90 degrees i use a thermometer and a thermostat to keep these levals. Lowest over night temp is 75 degrees and i messure them by a thermometer.
Humidity - The humidity is between 50 and 60% and i use a hydrometer to messure it.
Plants - No
Placement - It is in my bed room, ontop of my leopard gecko viv, its quiet tall, but theres about 1 foot between the top of his viv and the roof of my bed room.
Location - I am located in the united kingdom in england.

how old are your bulbs? i would personally change your dusting schedule. everything else looks like your doing a great job!!

Back
Top Bottom