Eye crust?

My Cham’s right eye is having some issues. She also has a bump on her head near her right eye ish, I tried to capture it in a photo. I don’t know what it is or if it’s normal? But her eye when she shuts it or sleeps, doesn’t shut all the way. See the second photo attached. I have been giving her 15 min showers and even spraying her eye with saline solution. Any tips or thoughts on what is going on with her?

Attachments

• 5418F9A2-A194-4728-BEC7-5AEF28A98840.jpeg
    5418F9A2-A194-4728-BEC7-5AEF28A98840.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 7D5DD8A4-03C0-45D9-91AD-CDE54E9D9A4C.jpeg
    7D5DD8A4-03C0-45D9-91AD-CDE54E9D9A4C.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 171
It might just be the picture, but her eyes seems really sunken in. Maybe you caught her while she was retracting it, but sunken eye/s are often a sign of some sort of stress. Dehydration is usually blamed, but I’ve read that sunken eyes can be indicative of many types of stress. Filling out the form posted below will be helpful, but I think a vet visit is a good idea.
How to ask for help:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/:

Is she gravid?

Her eye should shut all the way when she's sleeping.
I suspect she will lay eggs soon. I have her lay bin all set up in her cage. This would be her second clutch of eggs. Both eyes used to shut all of the way when closed, but recently it seems there is crust in the right eye not allowing her to shut it all of the way.

I'd take her to a good exotics vet to see what's going on with the eye.

Also, I can't see the head bump you're talking about clearly...can you post another photo please?

That makes sense! I will look for an exotic vet in the area ASAP! Any idea how they will help her? Or what the Vet cost would be roughly? This will be my first time taking her in.

I just spoke with a vet on the phone, I will be making an appointment to get her checked out! Side note, after asking about the husbandry of my cage and her lifestyle, the vet mentioned that I should be letting my chameleon outside to soak in the UVB. Is this something you guys do? Bring your chameleon outside and perch her on a plant in the natural sunlight? I have not been doing this so I was kinda shocked to hear that I should be doing so!

It’s not a necessity if you have the proper lighting and D3 supplement schedule. BUT I’m sure your Cham would LOVE and benefit from some natural sunshine. You can take her out a couple times a week for about 15-20 mins or daily it’s up to you. Just watch her for gaping because they heat pretty quickly in direct sunlight. One more thing do not leave her unattended she may get curious and wander off lol.

It’s not a necessity if you have the proper lighting and D3 supplement schedule. BUT I’m sure your Cham would LOVE and benefit from some natural sunshine. You can take her out a couple times a week for about 15-20 mins or daily it’s up to you. Just watch her for gaping because they heat pretty quickly in direct sunlight. One more thing do not leave her unattended she may get curious and wander off lol.
Perfect! I will plan on taking her outside more! What does gaping mean? What do I need to look for?

Back
Top Bottom