eye crust

deerhunter

Avid Member
Hello my 2yr old ambilobe has eye crust he seems fine I am basically asking if there is an ointment or should I let it be? I used a warm qtip and rubbed gently. It reminds me of our eyes when we have sleep in them in the a.m. Any advice is welcome thank you.

lighting seems good (I'm guessing you are using reptisun?)
can you provide us info for Qs asked in the link i provided you?

If you can post pictures of your enclosure and your chams, it would be even better.

In case he has an infection or is about to get one, you might try using Teramycin ointment. I don't believe this can do any harm to him even if it's some other problem. You can get it at farm supply stores or in some pet shops. The only pet shop I've found it in is our locally owned pet store that also sell panacur. Small tubes do not require a script. Others on here with some exp. in eye problems may be able to help you more on this subject. I've only had one eye issue since I've been taking care of chams and the Teramycin cured it right up. Good luck. David

I also read somewhere that crustyness is caused by oversupplementation? Or was that nose crusties? well I am a complete noob but I did read about that somewhere...

eye

well I have to say I would think its is humidity if anything like nico suggested I live in the midwest and the heat has been running alot sucking the moisture right out. Ill mit more often and keep a close eye on him. I do not believe over suplementation is the issue but thank you for the input.

You might consider an ultasonic humidifier. You can get a decent one at walmart or riteaid for about $35. I know when the humidity dips into the low thirties her, my humidifier will have to work for 7 or 8 hours to get the humidity up into the 50's. That's in a closed room! One of the best investments I ever made for my chams. Good luck with him. David

Eye

Thanks I will be stopping by wal mart for sure. Diablo has started shedding tonight, i am curious is this cause for my concern?

I don't know if your familiar with the ultrasonic type humidifier so I'll tell you what To look for. Not trying to treat you like an idiot, I just don't know if your familiar with them. There not the old type of humidifier that blows through a wet media and thus humidifies the air. It will say on the box, ultrasonic humidifier. It produces extremely fine mist, fog really and blows it out the top. It's the same principal as the zoomed type sold in the pet stores but far superior. Some people hook up approx. 2" pvc and route it to the cage. You won't be sorry you purchased it. David

humidifier

your right I am glad you were more thorough on your describtion. So this is a differt than the old syles. If used in my chameleon room would it leave a puddle on the floor. I m not sure. If you have any pics of these in action that would be great. Thanks for your advice. Im not the smartest keeeper and love to learn.

No, won't leave a puddle at all. I don't have a picture but they have an internal fan that blows the fog in the direction you choose. I set mine on a stool and aim it toward the cage. It will coat the leaves witha fine mist. Good luck. David

Back
Top Bottom