Eye again....

MrMystopholeesMom

So I posted a week or so ago about Mr. Mystopholees' swollen eye and have since taken him to a vet, who anesthetized him, rinsed the eye, and placed him on the following medicines:

-Neo/PolyMyx B Sulf/Bac ointment, applied to the area 2-3x per day for 14 days
-Metacam oral, 1x per day
-Chloramphenicol oral, 1x per day for 21 days

In addition to this, I use a sodium chloride rinse every other day or so. Unfortunately, the eye has shown very little improvement. I'm very broke right now and this past visit cost me $250 so before I run back to the vet, I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. (Of course, if he hasnt improved by Wednesday,the end of the 14 day period, I will be taking him to the vet!)

Thanks!

Hi, sorry to hear that your having the same problems as me with my veiled.

has urs got his / her eye shut all the time aswell and has it been rubbing its eye against things.. also what UVB light are you using?

It may help us both find what is causing by seeing what we are doing the same / different etc.

Thanks.

post pics of the eye/chameleon/cage set up and current care (how to ask for help). whats wrong with the eye?

Hi, sorry to hear that your having the same problems as me with my veiled.

has urs got his / her eye shut all the time aswell and has it been rubbing its eye against things.. also what UVB light are you using?

It may help us both find what is causing by seeing what we are doing the same / different etc.

Thanks.

That's exactly what mine's doing and I've actually considered the UVB light as a possible source of the irritation...I'm using a ReptiSun 5.0 spiral bulb (in addition to his basking lamp) and I've heard such mixed opinions about them. My vet, who I trust a great deal, seemed to dismiss the idea that the bulb is the problem but he did say he had a patient with corneal damage due to this type of lighting. I am considering switching but I'm not sure what I should get...

Other than that, these are the basic specs on my little man:

-Ambanja panther, approx. 8 months old

-Free-ranging in 15'x7' room furnished with live schflera (sp?), golden pothos, and several artificial plants and vines; room kept between 75 and 85 degrees in daytime, 65-70 at night

-Fed approx. 10-12 crickets gut-loaded with Flukers' High Calcium Cricket Feed (the dry feed, not that orange or green gunk); 2-5 superworms every other day....several times a week I dust the feeders with Fluker's Calcium +
D3 supplement

-Misted 2-3 times a day, although he gets a little fussy when I do this, so I rely more on a dripper

Let me know about your set-up...hopefully we can figure out what's causing this for both of them!

Hi thanks for the reply. I have already created a thread below this, if you look at the creator (stumpy1992) there is my
Full setup. I would paste it here but I'm on my
Iphone ATM and it's a bit fiddly. I have heard that there are some bad zoomed bulbs about but not many people hve used reptile one UVB bulbs which is what I am using ATM.

The shop where I bought my cham from is also suffering with the problem
With all of their Chams and they are using the same bulbs as me? Could be a sign. Let's hope we get this sorted!

Thanks

eye problem

Hey guys this is my first post. My chameleon has had the same exact problems. he's sleeping all day almost, and he rubs his eyes on stuff. is he ok. he is still eating and pooping perfectly normal.

Hey guys this is my first post. My chameleon has had the same exact problems. he's sleeping all day almost, and he rubs his eyes on stuff. is he ok. he is still eating and pooping perfectly normal.

hi welcome to the forums. many on here will be glad to help you out with your situation. please start a new thread and fill out the (how to ask for help form).

That's what confuses me too-- other than the eye, Mr. Mystopholees seems perfectly fine. He eats well, poops regularly, is very active, and displays beautiful colors.

This may or may not be significant, but my vet said that he really couldn't even find any debris or infection in the eye when he anesthetized and examined him. And as I mentioned, the medications haven't helped; if anything, he seems worse.

What could this indicate? Could it be a behavorial issue or something of that nature?

thanks for asking! ironically, his eye seems to be a little better but now he's acting strange....not eating and being very inactive:( i don't know what to do...maybe i'm just over-analyzing?

how's yours doing?

hi thanks for replying, well mine has not improved on the eye front as of yet, i have tried eye drops and everything but she is still eating fine, however saying that, she is a little less active than normal.

When i got her out today to inspect her eye she sounded like she had a URI as she sounded wheezy but only every now and then so not sure if it was where she didn't want to be held and trying to moan?

I have ordered some eye antibiotics for reptiles, they should be delivered within the next week and i'll give that ago so fingers crossed that will help.

Back
Top Bottom