Eye again and worse!

MrMystopholeesMom

So I've posted about three threads regarding Mr. Mystopholees' eye trouble and am yet to resolve the problem. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I took him to a vet who prescribed a regimine of oral antibiotics, topical ointment, and sodium chloride rinses which I administered religiously and as instructed. This seemed effective until last week when the eye began to flare up again. Even worse, he's stopped eating...I just don't know what to do.

I've considered possible dehydration and followed the advice of fellow members by soaking him in warm water and misting him in the shower. This seemed to help but when he did finally open his eye, it was completely clouded over (unlike before when his turret was swollen, but his actual eye was clear when opened).

I'm very concerned about this and would appreciate any advice possible... thank you!

That's a lot going on for a chameleon, I wonder if it's stress related. :/

Wish I knew what to say but don't really have much to offer. Best of luck.

eye again

I just went through the exact same problem with Dio. His eye issue came back for the 3rd time over the last year and he had refused to eat for 2 1/2 weeks. He was very dull looking, and was sleeping most of the day. I was very worried. The only way i could even get him to drink was to give him a shower once a day on his favorite plant. I was certain he wasn't going to make it. I took him to the vet for the third time. She gave me an ointment and then administered vitamin A via a siringe to the mouth and sent me home with some extra to administer in another 5 days. I was told that because the mutlit vitamin i was dusting with provided viatmin A in the form of betacarotine??? that i should go and try to find a new multivitamin with actual vitamin A in it.
Now i know this has been a debated discussion on these forums for a while(the issue of vitamin A supplimentation) but within 4 or 5 days his eyes are both perfect again, he has his color back, is no longer sleeping most of the day and eats whatever i can throw in the cage. I believe after everything; that he was vit. A deficient.

I appreciate all your replies, they are very helpful in narrowing down the source of this problem! As far as the "how to ask form" I've filled it out several times and its in my older posts, I just forgot to add it to the last one. I'm going to try to get pics up asap, but Mr. M DESPISES the camera and as Syn addressed in her reply, I have a feeling a lot of this might be stress related so I don't want to upset him.

Today, I bought him superworms and to my excitement, he perked right up, acted like he was going in for the kill...then changed his mind! Ahhh so frustrating!!!! I also wanted to add that his color is still great and he's very active so that's a little weird considering the situation.

Anyways, this is to Cambech, I am curious about the vit. A issue you addressed and am considering trying this....did Dio's eyes clear up after the vet administered the vit. A or did you also buy a supplement? If so, what did you use? Thanks so much

I am VERY interested in this thread....my 5month old (had him 2 months now) had had essentially exactly the same issue recurring since I got him.

I applied terramycin and it seems to resolve and he had a shed shortly afterwards. However in the past 3 days it has come back....his turret is REALLY swollen and he does this thing where he is "pulling it in" or rubbing it on a stick. When he opens his eye however it is clear and the swelling seems to go down quickly. Also, as of 3 days ago, he has begun sleeping during the day and eating very little (eating maybe 4 crickets a day compared to his previous 12ish)

also, when he is sleeping during the day he is a mixture of colors I can't quite read him......he is partially the pretty color he is while resting but he is also speckled with black/dark spots as if he was extremely stressed. Would really like to find the cause.

I am VERY interested in this thread....my 5month old (had him 2 months now) had had essentially exactly the same issue recurring since I got him.

I applied terramycin and it seems to resolve and he had a shed shortly afterwards. However in the past 3 days it has come back....his turret is REALLY swollen and he does this thing where he is "pulling it in" or rubbing it on a stick. When he opens his eye however it is clear and the swelling seems to go down quickly. Also, as of 3 days ago, he has begun sleeping during the day and eating very little (eating maybe 4 crickets a day compared to his previous 12ish)

also, when he is sleeping during the day he is a mixture of colors I can't quite read him......he is partially the pretty color he is while resting but he is also speckled with black/dark spots as if he was extremely stressed. Would really like to find the cause.

it is normal for them to rub the shed off or scratch the turret like that. swelling for only a few moments is nothing to worry about.

it is normal for them to rub the shed off or scratch the turret like that. swelling for only a few moments is nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this is the case with EvilLost's cham, but mine's turret is staying swollen and shut.

On the bright side, he has started eating again yay! Now, however, the eye seems to be shedding? It is time for him to have another shed, but that seems to be the only place....

Here are some pics....
DSC00507.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

ps....as I mentioned, he hates the camera, so I think that's what's going on with the body language haha

Back
Top Bottom