extra lighting

apple

i have a huge 260 gal reterium and at the bottom its not a bright as the top so today i baught a floresent fixture its 4ft and i stood it up on the side of the repterium is this ok..it dosent give off heat just light

i didnt put any live plants in there i got a pothos outside on my back yard but im waiting for it to get bigger b.c its small other wise just plastic plants

While it probably isn't harming him, I don't know if it's advised to put put a light on it's side like that. Mostly because in nature, the light comes from the sun which is up above, and ultimately what we're trying to do with our cages is mimic their natural habitat as best as we can, so a light on it's side probably isn't 'normal' to them, which in turn might confuse/annoy (maybe even stress?) them.

that's how I see it but in the end it's your call

Yeah the light/temperature gradient is a good thing. Putting it on top is probably better. I have a 260gal rep as well with 5 lights on top. 2 10w clip lamps, 1 30w basking lamp, 1 24" 10.0 UVB, 1 24" florescent grow light.

But I have a crapload of live plants in there, so I need the extra light to keep them healthy. Sometimes Ill move the grow lamps lower so that the plants get more light.

Back
Top Bottom