Explorarium

John33871

well i found a cheap explorarium on ebay for 12 bucks, so i bought it. well i got it today, and it seems very nice. its only a small , 12" by 18", its not to big, but it will only be holding a 4 month old veiled for short periods of time so he may be outside and catch some natural sun rays. anyways i had him in it and took him outside. he seemed to be nervous, and he fell a few times as well. i know being in a new environment can be stressful to a chameleon, but is it ok to take him outside every other day for an hour or so? any advice with using this would be helpful. anyways ill post some pictures as soon as my camera battery which i also got on ebay gets here, lol. anyways thanks for any help

John, if you are looking for the larger Explorariums cheap, just PM me.

Personally, I think natural sunlight is the key to what makes chameleons in captivity, Trive, and not just survive.

explorarium_l.jpg

I have the medium exoterra hanging from my facia outside. I put my jacksons in there 3 times a week for about 3-4 hours each time. Or sometimes if I want to let the indoor enclosure dry out, ill leave him out there all day with the dripper going. I found that those 5x thick 17" plastic plant bases work really well in the bottom. So if you want to set any potted plants in there, you can, and it wont sag on the bottom (if you hang the exoterra).

I have one for Butter, and I put a hanging pathos in it. I put the plant in a cheap plastic pot, punched out three holes in the side for hooks and attached a soft rope type swag plant holder. I ran the "rope" (heavy soft cord) through the flap at the top, and hang the plant from a tree branch, and the explorium from a branch a bit lower !! The velcro holds the flap closed around the soft plant holder, and Butter has a hanging plant in there !!

It was hot out, so while I was watering the garden, I sprinkled him and the enclosure with the hose ! He loves it when I toss some crickets in there with him, it must be like hunting in new territory, because he really goes for those buggies when he is outside.

I only leave him out there when I'm around, so he usually gets a few hours on the weekends and a couple hours maybe one day during the week from 5 to 7pm..... poor guy will suffer once winter hits.....

The more natural sunlight the better like Will Hayward says. Even people feel better if they get outside regularly. Any foliage that you can stick in there will make your cham feel more secure. I am trying to get my gravid females out as much as possible too. Where I live there are only a few months a year that I can do it.

wow thanks for all the advice and information. i dont have any big wildlife around my house, just birds. i think ill get a small pothos and place it inside. i think ill leave him outside tomarrow while im at school. ill be home before 10 am so he would only be outside for 3 hours. about the birds should i be worried about them? thanks

wow thanks for all the advice and information. i dont have any big wildlife around my house, just birds. i think ill get a small pothos and place it inside. i think ill leave him outside tomarrow while im at school. ill be home before 10 am so he would only be outside for 3 hours. about the birds should i be worried about them? thanks

Yes. I once saw a surprisingly small bird fly off with a surprisingly large lizard. Thankfully, it wasn't mine.

Back
Top Bottom