Experience with Blue Bottle Flies from Mantisplace

Hi guys, I wanted to let you all know how my experience with blue bottle flies from mantis place is going along.

I ordered 100 pupae, 500 spikes, and some food.
I did not receive an invoice, which is fine, but I'm the kind of person who likes to keep track of online orders and such. The pupae and spikes (larvae) came in 2 circular containers.

One container was larger and had the flies in the substrate, and one was smaller and just had a bunch of flies in them. I am referring them both containers as having "flies" instead of pupae or spikes, as I was and still am not completely 100% sure which contains the pupae (hatch faster) or the spikes (take longer time to hatch, stay in fridge for longer period of time).

After numerous emails back and forth, I am still unsure, although she has been replying back rather promptly, which I appreciate. I currently took 15 or so flies from each and put them in the container which was also given as an extra.

I think i've concluded so far that the smaller container had the pupae (kind of red and brown) and the other box had similar looking bugs but had some white ones mixed in (the spikes?). If anybody minds chiming in and telling me the best way to house them, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

I've had very mixed results ordering from there. If I knew another place to get Blue Bottle flies I would use them. Also do not get FF's from there. I did once and they were the nastiest cultures I have ever seen. They literally smelled like dog $#*&. :)

If you want to use regular house flys, I get mine from Spiderpharm. I have had really good luck buying from them.

I had to work all day today so I didn't get to spend much time with him, but I did see there were some flies that were hatched out so I let them loose in his enclosure this morning and went after them right away! When I got home, he was already in his sleepy spot. When I put more flies in he got out of his sleepy spot to go hunt them down! He must really like em

I had a problem with 1 or 2 orders but all is well now. I'm on a automatic order. I get 500 pupae delivered every other week.

I hatch the pupae at 77f. I keep the hatching container on heat tape next to my fruit fly and roach cultures.

Carl

If the flies are giving you issues, you may want to try moths. Let the hornworms or silks turn to moths. My guys 'freak' for them, like yours for flies. They are a little larger, so you may not have to use as many. My son catches them for me also. I am yet to see a moth go uneaten.

Well i had a good experience from mantidplace, i ordered 500 blue bottle pupae, i still got it in the fridge after 2 weeks and still getting a lot of flies hatching, i use one container which i put the pupae in and a gallon cap full of honey, as soon as they hatch they have something to eat, when i am ready to feed i put the container inside the freezer for 90 seconds or so, the flies turn into zombies which i put into a bag with calcium, shake and drop inside the cage, in a couple of minutes they return to normal, and seek out the heat light, and next comes the feeding frenzy, one of my chameleons really likes them, the other one takes his sweet time to eat them, but for me they have been proven as a good feeder for a picky eater

Sana

I too have had a good experience with mantis place... My one cham, Alby, loves them! It's a great thing to have as an appetizer. It seems to get him into the eating mood. Or at least it seems he is eating a little more. The flies, a couple dubia nymphs, a cricket or two, and a superworm every other day. Better than before, that's for sure

Back
Top Bottom