Expected Recovery Time for Dehydration

ubhuti

Hi everyone,

It looks like my panther is dehydrated to the point of not being able to hold his own weight. This happened quite suddenly. I have mouth fed 50/50 mix of water and pedialyte. I was wondering what the expected recovery time would be with this treatment, assuming he recovers? I recognize I will likely have to take him to the vet for shots, but thought I would ask the question.

Thanks for the knowledge and help.

Can I ask how and why he got dehydrated? If it is really true dehydration they can turn around very quickly. If there is some other type illness associated with the dehydration, then that would be a different story

To be clear what is very quickly? Within hours?

I have had his cage outside under screened patio in Florida. Humidity in the cage dropped over the last 2 weeks. He stopped eating and I misdiagnosed as a hunger strike, when I believe he just wasn't getting enough water.

If he's really dehydrated, I wouldn't think it would be fixed in a few hours. I would bring his cage inside and make sure it stays nice and humid in there, keep it misted and just make sure he drinks over the next few days. As long as he's drinking, he should recover. Just try not to force him to drink too much water because his body might not be able to handle it. It's hard to tell by not being able to see him and not knowing how long it's been since he drank.

To be clear what is very quickly? Within hours?

I have had his cage outside under screened patio in Florida. Humidity in the cage dropped over the last 2 weeks. He stopped eating and I misdiagnosed as a hunger strike, when I believe he just wasn't getting enough water.

I am sorry I should have clarified and maybe not used the words I did. I have seen chameleons with very sunken in eyes, looking terrible on here and with the proper hydration within a day or two look 100% better. I would still leave him outside. I think the fresh air is always best and it is probably more humid outside than in. Atleast it is where I live in FLA. Also, get him out into the sunshine. That could do him a world of good for his health in general.

Thanks a ton for responses guys.

He is still completely sapped of energy, but I will continue to force feed water. If he is not showing signs of improvement by tomorrow mid-morning I think I will take him to the vet.

I can't thank you enough for the advice on how to treat him.

Back
Top Bottom