Exoterra Sunray

SPork

It's about time to replace my lamps and i was looking at the sun ray halide fixture from Exoterra, but i can't find very many reviews. Is anyone currently using this fixture? I was thinking the 35w should be more than enough for a 2x2x4 along with a 24 inch t5ho for added light.

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased 2 of the 35w sun rays for both of my panthers. I worked in the aquarium lighting industry for a number of years and was not expecting much in the way of a ballast, but upon disassembling one of my fixtures I was pleasantly surprised to see a fullham electronic ballast. I have them mounted about 12 inches above my basking site in order to achieve 85 degrees.

Here is the ballast, fullham makes high quality ballasts at very affordable prices.

A shot of the beam

The cage on the left is currently lit by a cfl uvb, 25 watt incadescent basking lamp and a 6700k NOT8 and the cage on the right is lit by only the 35w sun ray.

Here is a closeup only the sunray

sunray and a 6700k NOT8

Aside from the light being very pleasing to the eye, i have noticed my chameleons seem to bask longer and more frequently under this than a simple incandescent.

I don't know if it's worth it to me since I don't have that kind of money laying around but it does look amazing

I think it came out to ~$140 per fixture, I got them at LLL and they had a $10 off coupon last week.

must be nice to live in the states lol, searching online only local store by me is 210 + taxes, or about 200 shipped. not sure what shipping costs from lll are like to canada

Thanks for the side by side photo. At 35 watts, it's quite impressive. I'll send you my solar meter to post your results. I need it back, but you can borrow it for a few days. Please post your results in the lighting thread. Send me your address in a PM and I'll get the solar meter right out.

Cheers.

same question think its about 300 correct? worth the extra money you think?

Not sure if it is worth it yet, but it looks nice. Replacement lamps run about $30 so maintenance wise it should be the same as buying 5.0's and heat lamps.

Thanks for the side by side photo. At 35 watts, it's quite impressive. I'll send you my solar meter to post your results. I need it back, but you can borrow it for a few days. Please post your results in the lighting thread. Send me your address in a PM and I'll get the solar meter right out.

Cheers.

Thanks! That is very kind of you to offer to send that to a complete stranger. I actually just ordered one online and I will post up readings as soon as it arrives.

Wow! Thank you for posting comparison pictures. Very nice, I can't wait to hear what readings you get. How did you attach it to your cage? The double sided tape?

this is interesting, thanks to those participating!

i bought a 70 watt for my free range but won't have it
together til the weekend.

I've been using a 35w on my cage for 3 months now. I have two Jacksons the same age. One is under a reptiglo 5.0 and one under the sunray. The guy under the sunray is significantly larger than the other and his horns are perfectly straight where my other guy has a slight right turn with his nose horn. I never catch the other guy basking but can catch the sunray guy basking any time. I've also had to trim my hibiscuses already. They flower constantly.

It's my opinion that this is the best light out there for a chameleons health.

So is This Exo Terra SunRay an all-in-one bulb that combines very high light output and infrared heat radiation with optimal levels of UVA and UVB?

It takes care of the head gradient (basking lamp) and the proper UVB output?

Will it also provide adequate light for plants in the tank?

Wow! Thank you for posting comparison pictures. Very nice, I can't wait to hear what readings you get. How did you attach it to your cage? The double sided tape?

My solarmeter should be here on the 16th, so I will take measurements and report back when it arrives. The unit comes with double sided tape, I just stuck it right to the side of the screen cage.

So is This Exo Terra SunRay an all-in-one bulb that combines very high light output and infrared heat radiation with optimal levels of UVA and UVB?

It takes care of the head gradient (basking lamp) and the proper UVB output?

Will it also provide adequate light for plants in the tank?

It is marketed as an all in one lamp, much like the mercury vapor lamps. The difference is in the spectrum and intensity of light that you get and that these have an external ballast so replacement lamps are cheaper. I don't see why the light would not be adequate for live plants, I will dig up my old PAR meter and find out what the output is on that. I don't have any live plants in my cages so I can't really help other than that.

the sunray alone looks really bright, think its sufficient enough to have just the one bulb for light output and plant growth. Or should I use a linear tube for some more light and to help the plants? becoming more and more interested in these

It has my live hibiscus growing and flowering like crazy. Hibiscus generally don't do well in indoor enclosures.

Would these bulbs work with a regular reflective deep dome fixture and give off the same light and heat output? Being in Canada I don't really have access to the fixture (unless I were to pay $53 in shipping on top of the $169.99 online), but I could always buy the bulbs off of Amazon if they do!

Back
Top Bottom