Exoterra dripper plant.

I've used the large exo terra dripper plant myself and just like everyone else I was skeptical. I actually liked it a lot and plan on buying one for my new guy! Not sure if my Panther Ambilobe ever really used it much based off placement way in the back, but if nothing it helped keep the humidity levels adding more moisture inside my screen terrarium in which I thought was great! I give it two thumbs in my opinion!

Has anyone used an Exoterra dripper plant yet? I'm interested in how these work.
Do they use fresh water or recycle the water?
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Reptile/Accessories/Watering-Feeding/PT2492

Jason
Has anyone used an Exoterra dripper plant yet? I'm interested in how these work.

Jason
Been using for a full year. Clogs, so I pulled the wire out of the feed tube with pliers and Noted that the heat formed bend on top WILL keep it's shape. I use clear plastic deli cup 4/12" diameter to hold pump and water - also has flat bottom which is great for suction cups on pump bottom. Clean tubes from pump to base of leaf assembly weekly with long bamboo skewers which do a great job. Weekly, Shut pump off and wipe dripper leaves with reptile disinfectant and rinse/dry thoroughly. This is VERY important especially with Chameleons. Bacterial growth in their drinking water will end very badly. I swap out new deli cup filled with clean water every other day and Immediately if I see any Dead Feeders in the water. All Reptiles - use ONLY reverse osmosis, spring, or distilled water. Spring water is fine.

Have been using Two for years - one in my male panther's enclosure and one in my females. Have a third still in the box. By far the ULTIMATE Chameleon watering system!

I made my own dripper system. It uses a 3 litre resevoir with a pump that was a bit too loud for one of my fish tanks.

It pumps up to the outlet nozle and drip flow is controlled by a medical drip thingy from Amazon. (Don't recall the actual name but seen every time a drip is set up at any hospital).

That drips onto a large leaved real plant (I went full bioactive when I started). At the bottom of the fall it is collected in what started out as a cheap green watering can for houseplants. This was cut down and the spout feeds into tubing that goes back to the resevoir. There are some stones to ensure that even it got blocked, there is no way Bob could ever end up in any standing water.

I use basic filter floss before the pump in case any small bits get in.

I thoroughly clean the entire system out every few days and know that Bob poops the other end of the enclosure EVERY time. (The isopods just wait under that spot every day lol).

I was fed up with gravity fed systems stopping dripping or dripping too fast, seemingly as soon as I left the room. I don't have to worry about refills being done by others when I'm working shifts. 1536084676018216015323154757780.jpg 15360847380971262061636567294101.jpg

I attached this dripper and an Exo Terra fogger into the large Exo Terra waterfall. I added biological media to filter it all. It’s an all in one system that works amazing as long as you filter the water and clean the entire thing a lot. The only downsides are it goes through a lot of water and has to stay on the ground.

We used to use the dripper plant with Thor. He loved it and drank from it readily. Unfortunately he also used to like sitting on it. It's not very strong so quite often i'd return home to a very damp tank and a guilty looking chameleon looking at said damp patch as if it was my fault. We tried cable tying it around the tank but in the end the motor gave up and we didn't replace.

We tried the exoterra monsoon which sprays water from 2 heads at set times. Like a mini rain storm. Great concept, but we replaced 3 times as it failed and emptied the whole reservoir into his tank each time. Again a motor issue?

In the end, we settled with a fogger :)

Jason
I found out that if you clean the filter on the pump weekly it will work like new. I was having problems and was ready to throw it out but start to mess with it and didnt even know there was a filter. The end of the pump with vents is side where filter is. Pops right off. Also keep bowl or container clean that pump is in. Chameleons saliva is sticky and will notice that it can clog up the tubes. I like to take plant out every other week to run warm water through it to clean tube out.

Back
Top Bottom