Exo Terra XL terrarium

Feathered

I have a 36x18x36 exo terra glass. I have been reading a lot and glass seems to have a ton of comments about ventilation issues for Chameleons. ExoTerrra claims that the front door vents are designed to let ventilation from the bottom rise out the top.

Does anyone have experience with the XL terrarium and it's ventilation? Any thoughts

Its situational, some people have to use glass because its too cold or humidity is hard to control, in which case its needed. If you can use a mesh system where you are at then I would. But yes there are some story's about vent issues causing URI's and what not.

oh boy..... can of worms opened!! lol...

My thoughts are that you will be fine. I think the key things are to make sure it has a chance to dry out between misting, and watch the humidity....

I have no experience with the XL, but I have used exo terra glass terrariums.

Yepp..... I figured this was going to be a fun topic. I'm obviously new to this forum and just starting to brain storm a chameleon setup but I'm pretty sure I have misspelled the word glass my whole life cause the chameleon world seems to think GLAS a 4 letter word. lol

I have raised birds and have had a number of reptile species so I'm a little familiar with humidity and not sure it can be maintained in my current home. The ventilation and air systems of the home just aren't humidity friendly as I have experienced in my fish tanks, incubators, reptile cages, etc. I recently acquired the exo terra and although I like the display view I am not sure that it will have enough ventilation for chameleons. I have seen mention of small fans, which I have used in incubators and such, so I am sure it would be easy enough to place atop the screen with an outward pull and drag ventilation from the front lower vents but wonder if it would be enough.

I really am not interested in just experimenting on a poor reptile so I thought I would see if anyone had experience with exo terra as I have not. There are some really great posts on this forum about glass so I am really glad I decided to join.

I know a combo wouldnt be bad, such as glass on the front and back with mesh sides, but if its all glass. Id use it if it was very cold or you had humidity problems

Hey there!

I have the exact same tank and it's worked out great for our little guy. We have to use it because we can't keep temps stable. He has never seemed put off by it and I find the vents to a great job. The air never smells stale or anything. Our little guy has never been intimidated by the glass. The only thing is you have to get kind of creative with drainage in the glass.

While we are on the topic, does anyone have any tips for a good drainage system to use with a glass tank like an Exo?? We go through a lot of paper towels and antibacterial sponges.

Oh Yoshi13 that is good to hear. I just already know humidity will be an issue as I constantly deal with it in many of my pets already. I have, in the past so not with this terrarium, used a rock layer so there wouldn't be a direct standing water. I had an aquarium style tubing silicon-ed to the floor of the aquarium and out of the enclosure. I created a gravity siphon when needed to drain any built up water. I have been toying with the thought of using a similar setup if I decide to run with this actually. I have no intentions of adding a chameleon until I've had the setup running and up to par for awhile anyways so I'm thinking trial and error won't hurt much.

I have a 36x18x36 exo terra glass. I have been reading a lot and glass seems to have a ton of comments about ventilation issues for Chameleons. ExoTerrra claims that the front door vents are designed to let ventilation from the bottom rise out the top.

Does anyone have experience with the XL terrarium and it's ventilation? Any thoughts

I have this exact enclosure for my cham, Pickles, and love it. I keep my apartment pretty cold, so I knew there was no way I would keep her temp or her humidity where it should be in a wire enclosure. The entire top is screen which helps with ventihilation, but I also keep her bedding clean and free of poo and moisture to help with the air quality in there. She's never been bothered by the glass, and she actually likes propping herself on it to watch me get her dinner ready! All that being said, I recommend it, esp if you need to be able to regulate the temp like I do.

Back
Top Bottom