Exo-terra vines vs Adult Chams

davemailcall

You know, I was sitting here watching Clyde climb around and I got to thinking...what about when he's older?

These exo-terra (and other brands) flexible vines are really nice, but I wonder if they might be TOO flexible as he ages and increases his weight.

Whats the average weight of an adult male, and can these vines handle the weight of a cham on them without bending? How is easy is it for them to turn around? Clyde has issues when he wants to spin around and go back, so when he's older I figure it will be tougher since the vines are smaller diameter than his feet.

Switching to sticks and such isn't a big deal, but I like the look of the flexible ones and I can move them on occasion so he doesn't get bored.

i think the vines have a wire core. Also , they are available in 3 sizes. I read somewhere that you should provide climbing vines and limbs in different diameters so that they can get a good excercise for there feet. THe same diameter vine will not provide the variety for their hands and feet to work out well.

I didn't even think about the exercise for their hands! I am in need of at least two more vines, so I think I'll buy larger ones this time around!

I have about 8 or 9 in my Veiled's viv. They are all different thicknesses and are all over the viv, and are tied around the bars of the vivarium (have a flexarium) so they are nice and strong.

He's fully grown Male and he has no problem!

Ash

All of the vines in my Chams viv are the large versions, though I have some small ones knocking about that I may use later on. He tends to climb on the large branch/small umbrella stems too.

this is my male oustalate Mighty Moe and here he is on his bent exo terra water proof vine it stays in place and he is now almost 2 feet long and he isn't even a year old yet!!! so yeah i can say don't worry about your veiled or panther or what you have getting to big and the vine not being stable dude!!!:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom