exo-terra kinyongia enclosure

I put alot of time and money into this thing and Im really happy with the results.
Its a 24"t x 24"w x 18"d exo terra, they come w the rear background piece but I decided to get an extra 2 for each side for aesthetic purposes. See if you can find the pair of K. Tenuis:)

exo.jpg
[/IMG]

exo2.jpg
[/IMG]

thanks for the compliments! and its not perlite, its organic potting soil, everything in it is all natural. I got the idea from Chris Anderson. I drooled all over my keyboard when I saw his cham room and how clean and organized all those exo terras looked together and I was inspired:) it has hydroton expanded clay balls on the bottom with plastic window screen on top of that, followed by the organic potting soil. It looks 100 times better in person.

Ingredients...Coir fiber, composted forest product, compost, pumice, humic acid, seaweed, fish meal, alfalfa meal, composted poultry little.

I think Seeco's point is not that it's perlite or something else, just that if it were ingested that it might be detrimental to the chameleon. It can be very easy for a feeder to be clinging to a piece of bark/perlite/etc. then get stickey-toungued...and hold onto it all the way into the chameleon's mouth.

Last edited:
organic soil does come with perlite some times depends on what you buy . Looks good though, I like the setup. I have some similar as well but I did switch to eco earth though instead of organic soil.

Beautiful setup! I love seeing all the different ways an exoterra can be set up so natural looking. Hard not to drool over Chris' pics of his setup!!

LECA? I just followed exactly what Chris Anderson did with all of his tanks. There are Hydroton clay balls underneath the soil to soak up any excess water that might get down there.

It looks great! I have a Verrucosus in one, and have not had a problem with him eating the dirt. Some times he will snag some dead leaves, but usually doesn't swallow them.

LPR08

LECA is just another term for Hydroton, Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate, i was just wondering cuz ive had terrariums, and if you water too much it would just get to "wet" and the water would just sit, and become stagnate, i was just curious to how people avoid having this issue.

LECA is just another term for Hydroton, Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate, i was just wondering cuz ive had terrariums, and if you water too much it would just get to "wet" and the water would just sit, and become stagnate, i was just curious to how people avoid having this issue.

I just don't water too much. I've found that even species considered to have high water and humidity requirements do well in these enclosures with a single misting per day for 1.5-2 minutes. This isn't the case with fresh imports or animals in need of rehydrating, but healthy chameleons shouldn't need watering levels which would cause water stagnation in these enclosures.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom