Exo Terra Incubator?

kissarose

I was wondering if anyone has used the exo terra incubator for breeding their panthers? We have a gravid female and are wondering if this is a good incubator and what the ideal temps should be for panther eggs.

Panther chameleon eggs take a long time to incubate, so be patient. There are two ways to incubate the eggs, one is to leave them at a constant temperature from 72-78 F. Incubation times very greatly and you should expect hatchlings as early as 6 months but they could incubate as long as 12-14 months. Be patient and don't throw out any eggs unless they mold. The other option is, to incubate the eggs at varying temperatures. Panther chameleon eggs go through a diapause or period on non-development. By varying the incubation temperature it is possible to shorten this period of non-development. This can be done by incubating the eggs at 75-78 degrees for the first 3-4 weeks, lowering them temperatures to 65-70 for 6-8 weeks and finally raising the temperature back the 75-78 for the remainder of incubation. Using this method juveniles may hatch as early as 5 months.

As for the incubater i cant say if its ok or not as haven't used one, I made my own, As many people do! As its cheaper and your more than likely already have the bits you need laying around! All but a polystyrene box which you can get for free.
Have a look at thread= What Do I do When she lays the eggs? As instructions for what you need and other ideas you may find interesting!

Last edited:
The Exo's are pretty decent.
The main issues are:
1) Space (probably no more then 2 clutches max in them)
2) Cost, they're super pricey.

But if you're fine with that, they'll work perfectly.

If I were in the US however, I would simply buy the mini fridge from ThinkGeek, it's 100$ and works EXACTLY the same way (actually I'm 99% sure it IS the same product, exactly).

2 clutches? I can fit 6-8 in our LLL brand incubators (that work great BTW) and I believe the Exo is a little larger.

2 clutches? I can fit 6-8 in our LLL brand incubators (that work great BTW) and I believe the Exo is a little larger.

LLLReptile Pro MR-148 Incubator
size: 13 x 15 x 19 inches

Exo Terra Reptile Incubator
size: 13 x 12 x 18"

6-8 clutches must be a tight fit :p

I have one on the way, have been using the hovabator (sucks, but works)..i cant wait to have full digi control..im going to add some gauges to it for the double check of temps and humidity..but got mine on ebay for 149.95 shipped..brand new..

Please read if buying an exo-terra incubator!!!!!

NO!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE OR BUY THIS INCUBATOR! For the safety of your little ones... I had this incubator and was using it for my crested gecko eggs. The temp on the outside was always set at 76.6 and the internal temp differed a little, about 74.2 or so... one day I came home (early, thank god) and the outside temp had changed by it self to 82, which is way too hot so I freaked out and looked inside--where my digital therm read 62 degrees! I royally freaked out, took my eggs out and left it plugged in--it dropped to almost 30 degrees by ITSELF within the next 2 hours! I called the company and they told me the inside temps and outside temps differing were a problem, I would reconsider if you have already purchased this item and return it. These new products that have not had all of their kinks worked out are NOT trustworthy to incubate precious cham eggs... or any herp eggs for that matter. The inside temp and outside temp usually varies from 3 to 10 degrees at any given time, and obviously, it goes into hibernation mode all by itself, ugh!

Just something to consider guys :( Use a hov-a-bator instead, theyre way cheaper and waaaaay more efficient.

sounds to me as if you just had a defective unit..it happens, this is the first "bad" review i have heard yet.one more reaso why no matter what the outside says on any incubator, always add mechanical and digital temp and humidity gauges to them..i still trust them, i have plenty of friends that have used them for quite qawhile now and have had MANY great and healthy bacthes hatch from it..i would just send it back and have it replaced then turn it on for a few months before you put eggs in it to monitor it, also check your surge protector..if its turning off or intemittently powering it off then back on it will reset the temp settings and confuse the machine...

The Exo's are pretty decent.
The main issues are:
1) Space (probably no more then 2 clutches max in them)
2) Cost, they're super pricey.

But if you're fine with that, they'll work perfectly.

If I were in the US however, I would simply buy the mini fridge from ThinkGeek, it's 100$ and works EXACTLY the same way (actually I'm 99% sure it IS the same product, exactly).

When you use the mini fridge, I assume you leave it unplugged?

Back
Top Bottom