exo-terra incubator sucks -- update on the clutch

Well from using it, my Exo-Terra Incubator will be going up for sale when/if my clutch hatches. It's terrible.

The clutch has been cooking since march 18th, and was set to about 76 degrees (exo-terra temp) about 3 months ago, i upped the temperature to 78-79 (exo-temp). today i put two digi-thermometers in there, and it was reading like 73 degrees. God only knows how long they've been like that.

anyways, i did seem to fix it now. the digitals are reading 79 but the crappy incubator is fluxuating between 84 and 89.

i haven't lost any eggs, but i'm just mad in how that has set my incubating time back, by lord only knows.

now i know the directions say to monitor the inside temps anyhow, and its been recommended. 1) i did do a few monitors at single times and they were fine, though i did not keep steady track.
2) is it rough on the eggs and harm the neos with temperatures fluctuating like that?

[EDIT] Sorry for posting this in FOOD. i went to click breeding, but i guess my cursor didn't hit it in time.

Last edited:
You should never trust a device to read correctly, ever. You should be checking it with a probe and I'd check the temp of the eggs with a infrared temp gun.

i dont have any experience with the product, but if you think its a defect - you should call or email exo terra. they will offer to send you a new one and pay for shipping for the old one after the new one arrives.

just an option if you think it could be defective. good luck!

sometimes those digi thermos are also wrong,

i've also read people complaining about those incubators in reviews

yeah, I agree with HeartBen. You should give them the benefit of the doubt! I havent used this product either but maybe its just that paticular one your using!! Keep us updated!!

i dont have any experience with the product, but if you think its a defect - you should call or email exo terra. they will offer to send you a new one and pay for shipping for the old one after the new one arrives.

just an option if you think it could be defective. good luck!

its not that its a deffect, its just doing what ive read in common reviews. it was just the quickest and best deal i could find locally. im sure the eggs will hatch, im just a little disapointed now. its been about 8 months and the eggs are still good... slow incubations better right??:eek:

Hmm those are pretty big boxes so they should hold their temp well. You should put the thermostat inside the box. Also fill the incubator with tupperwares of water.

Why did you get it at a good price? Was it used?

its a defect...i had a bad one..they sent a replacement, i complained about the second beeing a lil off and they sent me a third..now i have two and they seem to bee working fine so far...they are good at customer service..talk to "nora" if you can..

Hmm those are pretty big boxes so they should hold their temp well. You should put the thermostat inside the box. Also fill the incubator with tupperwares of water.

Why did you get it at a good price? Was it used?

ive put the probes both in the containers earlier and both level temps of 79. i dont have tupperwares but ive had a cup of water filled and monitoring the water level the whole time.

it wasnt used, but the local pet store gives me deals. so i got it at his price for 199$ plus tx

its a defect...i had a bad one..they sent a replacement, i complained about the second beeing a lil off and they sent me a third..now i have two and they seem to bee working fine so far...they are good at customer service..talk to "nora" if you can..

its ok man, i dont plan on breeding again any time soon or in the distant future. im downsizing my collection but keeping chams. the incubator will be useless to me once the eggs hatch

ive put the probes both in the containers earlier and both level temps of 79. i dont have tupperwares but ive had a cup of water filled and monitoring the water level the whole time.

it wasnt used, but the local pet store gives me deals. so i got it at his price for 199$ plus tx

i got my exoterra incubator on ebay new 99.99 shipped free....not sure how much shipping would be to canada or somplace else outside..maybe a local ebay has one cheap..

Hey the incubator should be packed with water containers (or eggs!) to keep the temp stable. The water should be about the correct temp when you put it in.

Closet method for the win. No worries about temp spikes or possibly cooking an entire clutch. It may increase incubation time by a month or so but i get close to 100% hatch rates.;)

Witch model # are you using? Also for everyone thy breeds what would you use to confirm that the read out on the incubator is exactly what is says internally? Just curious I have the Eco terra heat / chill one read alot of reviews and everyone loved it, haven't used it yet but will on my upcoming projects. Thanks

Closet method for the win. No worries about temp spikes or possibly cooking an entire clutch. It may increase incubation time by a month or so but i get close to 100% hatch rates.;)
How do you deal when your house temperature fluctuates?? Closet in winter = cold, closet in summer gets hot...???

How do you deal when your house temperature fluctuates?? Closet in winter = cold, closet in summer gets hot...???

our weather and temps fluctuate too much for closet incubation to be successful. plus for some strange reason..my house isn't insullated :eek: believe it or not (gives a warm thank you to honest house inspectors).

my room gets overly warm in the warmer months, and way too cool during the cooler months for me to do any closet incubating.

Hey the incubator should be packed with water containers (or eggs!) to keep the temp stable. The water should be about the correct temp when you put it in.
my set up is one container first rack, one container second rack, large cup of room temp water on the bottom. ive monitored my temps for the last couple days now steadily, and its been consisitant. no spikes or drops.

Witch model # are you using? Also for everyone thy breeds what would you use to confirm that the read out on the incubator is exactly what is says internally? Just curious I have the Eco terra heat / chill one read alot of reviews and everyone loved it, haven't used it yet but will on my upcoming projects. Thanks
the heat/cool one is the model i have. it works fine, just like all the other reviews ive read too, the temp stat is off.

Back
Top Bottom