Everything on worms, and a little on fruit

Casperr

I plan on making my new Veild's diet 40% crickets, 40% some kind of worm, and I'm thinking the other 20% should be some fruit.

What kinds of worms are good, bad, and sometimes good, and sometimes bad?

What kinds of fruit are good, bad, and sometimes good, and sometimes bad?

Let's start with redworms.

Awesome blog on gutloading feeders: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
(I know you didn't want gutloading specifics, but this should help you some too.)

You should provide your chameleon with as much variety as possible when feeding him/her. Meaning that there should be more than 2 sorty of feeders available for him/her if you can.

Great non-worm feeders:
Roaches, Crickets, Mantids, Stick Bugs, Locusts/Grasshoppers and Flies (they have great fun chasing them around, but are so small that you have to provide other food too).

Great worm feeders:
Phoenix Worms (high in natural calcium), Silkworms and Hornworms.

Occasional/Rarely fed snack worms
Mealworms, Superworms and Wax Worms.

I likely forgot a few bugs, but these are ones I hear about the most. Not sure if redworms or any other kind of earth worm would be good... they have dirt on them and come from the ground, a place no chameleon would get fod in the wild.

I have been feeding Yuki (my own veiled) a mix of the fruits and veggies in the gutloading blog 1-2 times a week. She had blueberry the other day and has had carrot, celery greens and apple. Everything was cut small enough that she could eat it without much effort. She also now owns a Hibiscus plant, from which she regularly eats now. It's funny to see a flower half missing when I come home from work! :eek:

I plan on making my new Veild's diet 40% crickets, 40% some kind of worm, and I'm thinking the other 20% should be some fruit.

What kinds of worms are good, bad, and sometimes good, and sometimes bad?

What kinds of fruit are good, bad, and sometimes good, and sometimes bad?

Let's start with redworms.

red worms / ground worms are not ideal choices.

Two Good choices for larva prey/feeders are silkworms (can be gutloaded on a variety of things, can help with hydration and calcium absorption), butterworms (gutloadable with a few things and naturally high in calcium).

Some that are okay, just not ones you'd want to use all the time:
hornworms, superworms, cabbage loppers, pachnoda

Waxworms are on the bad list, use rarely.

you may find this list useful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

Back
Top Bottom