Eventually wanting to get a second cham...

cantgetagoodsn

Avid Member
I eventually want to get a second chameleon, as most owners seem to do after their first lol. Though, I am free ranging my Jacksons right now and am looking into a cross of some sort, but havent decided. If I were to make the free range big enough in my room with two sets of everything, lights, water, feeders, basking etc, and gave enough room, COULD they possibly get along? I know they tend to want to be alone, but I have seen a number of people house two or more in a free range without issue. What are y'alls two cents?

Go for it

I havnt tried free ranging but it seems if ur room is big enough and there are two separate places for them to bask an eat and such they should be fine. You're best bet is too try it but keep a close eye and if there is problems be ready to have an actual enclosure for one if it doesn't work out
Good luck!

It is possible, but would be very complicated, and i definately do not recommend it for various reasons. First, as a fairly new owner, you won't necessary be able to recognize the various behaviors that could lead to agression/rejection. Also, when you plan on trying something like this, you ought to have a backup, in case of incompatibility (which is more than common). So if you have a backup, why not simply using it? ;) This way you wouldn't risk your animals' health! :)

Usually, that kind of setup is tried by people with a lot of experience/knowledge, and is done under supervision of other very-senior members. So yeah, i also wouldn't recommend it.

I havnt tried free ranging but it seems if ur room is big enough and there are two separate places for them to bask an eat and such they should be fine. You're best bet is too try it but keep a close eye and if there is problems be ready to have an actual enclosure for one if it doesn't work out
Good luck!

Sadly it's not that easy... Even if they cant reach other, chameleons can stress each other in various ways that most people wont recognize. This is the main difficulty.

It is possible, but would be very complicated, and i definately do not recommend it for various reasons. First, as a fairly new owner, you won't necessary be able to recognize the various behaviors that could lead to agression/rejection. Also, when you plan on trying something like this, you ought to have a backup, in case of incompatibility (which is more than common). So if you have a backup, why not simply using it? ;) This way you wouldn't risk your animals' health! :)

Usually, that kind of setup is tried by people with a lot of experience/knowledge, and is done under supervision of other very-senior members. So yeah, i also wouldn't recommend it.

This is why I am posting here asking the experienced users. I do understand that it is not straight forward and that I don't have a tremendous experience. At the same time, with my resources (this forum), research that will be done, and the proper set up, I am just as capable of maintaining it as others... This is also way in the future, at least 6 months when I move out of my current apartment, I just wanted to start the process now.

I am not blaming you for thinking about it! You are definately not the first, nor the last! ;) All i am trying to say, is that even if its something possible, only very very talented people should try something like that. Heck, i have a great room for such setup, and i wont try it because i feel like i dont know enough to try it! ;)

In other words, i wanted to be honest by telling you the truth (ie: its something possible that has been done before), while saying very explicitly that only the best should try it. Its way too easy to underestimate what is needed for such setups (not in term of objets, but in term of knowledge and time), and i have read reports of people losing chameleons while trying something similar. And everytime, it was not due to not having enough drippers/UVB lights or foiliage, but only because the chameleons were not compatible, and they didnt notice the rejection before it was too late. And im talking about people who had at least as much knowledge as i do, and way more experience... So it can give you an idea! ;)

Dedication

If u have the time to invest and research and monitoring I still think it's worth a try that's the fun of creating a unique habitat and identifying chameleon stress isn't very hard. I personally wouldn't because I have like 24 other reptiles I care for not including my five chams so I stick with simplicity but like I said if u have the time ur free to try but proceed with caution :p

I'm not an advocate for freeranging to begin with but the big thing that jumps out at me is the fact that the panther cross is a lowland species whilst the Jacksons is a montane. Both have radically different husbandry requirements that I don't think can be achieved in the same freerange or room.

Cheers,
Trace

I have a freerange room with several panthers and my Jackson's regularly crossed the apartment and would join them in the room. He gets along with nearly all my panthers except my turquoise nosy be male, which I swear he thinks is a female! He never paid any attention to anyone, but he would do all the wooing behaviors of a male wanting to mount a female, going as far as literally trying to mate with him, to the poor Nosy's horror. So he had to be separated permanently with a babygate, because he'll squeeze under the doors.

So I'm only one person and only have this experience, but it seems that it's hit or miss for different species to get along well. I've heard of people that do it successfully and others that just don't. My veiled is the same way, she likes some of my panthers and just hates others, so she's also locked away in another room.

So I would see if you can make a second free range in another room and keep them separate. I know it's interesting to see if it works, but after going through the trouble of hanging lights, vines, plants, and all that good stuff, realizin that you have to relocate one of them is a pain in the butt lol I would just skip it altogether if you can.

I think it would depend on your set up and of course if they tolerate each other. My thinking of a free range is: An open enclosure to house the lights, water, etc but yet have it open so the cham can venture out onto branches or vines on the outside. Panthers are very curious and see everything as theirs and they wander around alot. Chances are it will venture into the others space and that is where the problem could come in. Believe it or not my melleri and panther free ranged together. I noticed my melleri stayed in or near his open enclosure, but the panther was all over the place. I did not leave them together during the day when I was gone as I did not want to come home to find the unthinkable. Each one had their own free range in separate rooms but when I was home they had access to all of it. When free ranging more than one cham even if they are the same, you "must" be able to monitor that throughout the day, every day. Why not just stick to one species to free range?

Thanks for the input guys. I wanted to try a species with brighter colors and larger in size... but may end up getting a second jacksons and think about breeding.

Back
Top Bottom