Evening Greenhouse Calumma Oshaughnessyi Pair Video

This video is a video I made from a couple days ago of my Calumma oshaughnessyi pair Walter and Estelle in the greenhouse late evening. They are both settling on branches for the night.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Another greenhouse keeper, eh? I love it! Do you have challenges getting your humidity down during the day?

Another greenhouse keeper, eh? I love it! Do you have challenges getting your humidity down during the day?

Another greenhouse keeper. I have owned this greenhouse since about 2002-2004.

I normally do not have problems with humidity in the greenhouse. The only time where humidity becomes an issue is when the temperature is over 100 Fahrenheit outside. Then I have got shade panels and foggers that go off to keep temperatures down.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Another greenhouse keeper. I have owned this greenhouse since about 2002-2004.

I normally do not have problems with humidity in the greenhouse. The only time where humidity becomes an issue is when the temperature is over 100 Fahrenheit outside. Then I have got shade panels and foggers that go off to keep temperatures down.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
My challenge is always getting that daytime humidity below 60%. On nice days, I can just open the door. But winter in Canada is less than accommodating there?

My challenge is always getting that daytime humidity below 60%. On nice days, I can just open the door. But winter in Canada is less than accommodating there?

There is times when my greenhouse is at humidity's of about 100% for a while. My montane chameleons respond and thrive in these conditions. However when exposed to high humidity's for extended periods high humidity's can cause problems (shedding and algae). When keeping chameleon is these high humidity's you have to make certain your chameleons are adapted to these types of conditions. I would not allow a Furcifer antimena or Furcifer oustaleti experience those conditions. While east coast Madagascar species such as Calumma parsonii parsonii and Calumma oshaughnessyi would thrive with periods of exposure to high humidity.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There is times when my greenhouse is at humidity's of about 100% for a while. My montane chameleons respond and thrive in these conditions. However when exposed to high humidity's for extended periods high humidity's can cause problems (shedding and algae). When keeping chameleon is these high humidity's you have to make certain your chameleons are adapted to these types of conditions. I would not allow a Furcifer antimena or Furcifer oustaleti experience those conditions. While east coast Madagascar species such as Calumma parsonii parsonii and Calumma oshaughnessyi would thrive with periods of exposure to high humidity.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Thanks, J!

Right now, we house xanths, TJJs, calyptratus, pardalis... and we are expecting a pair of orange eyes next month. While I’m sure most will scoff at this, I actually keep every in the roughly the same conditions. Daytime ambients in the mid 70’s, though the pardalis and calyptratus like to get a little closer to the t5’s where the temps hit 80ish. With great effort I can get my daytime Rh below 50, and nightime is %100 without effort. I drop the whole menagerie down to 50-ish every night.

Right now, we house xanths, TJJs, calyptratus, pardalis... and we are expecting a pair of orange eyes next month. While I’m sure most will scoff at this, I actually keep every in the roughly the same conditions. Daytime ambients in the mid 70’s, though the pardalis and calyptratus like to get a little closer to the t5’s where the temps hit 80ish. With great effort I can get my daytime Rh below 50, and nightime is %100 without effort. I drop the whole menagerie down to 50-ish every night.

I would probably think twice about high humidity and cool temperatures with Chamaeleo calyptratus. That species may not respond well to montane conditions that are meant for a Orange Eye White Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii. I would put that species in separate living spaces.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I would probably think twice about high humidity and cool temperatures with Chamaeleo calyptratus. That species may not respond well to montane conditions that are meant for a Orange Eye White Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii. I would put that species in separate living spaces.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I appreciate your input here. We only house in the greenhouse for the winter. Everyone goes outside May-October.

I won’t take up too much more of your time, but what kind of RH values are you hitting for antimena and oustalett?

I have not kept Furcifer oustaletin in the greenhouse in about fifteen your. That is since my family, the greenhouse and I moved off the ranch. While Furcifer antimena I never kept in the greenhouse because the greenhouse was being kept as a montane greenhouse. I kept my Furcifer antimena in my reptile room and that species love hot dry conditions. The greenhouse the way the conditions were set at would not have been appropriate. Both species I would say a good number is under 60% relative humidity with numbers lower than that is more than Okay.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks again, Jeremy! I’ll send you pics, when our orange eyes come in.

I have got an Orange Eye White Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii male named Maximus right now. Maximus is just growing up some in a grow out enclosure in the reptile room. When Maximus is big enough he has dibs on the big enclosure. I have got a female Orange Eye White Lip arriving this December.

I look forward to your pictures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have got an Orange Eye White Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii male named Maximus right now. Maximus is just growing up some in a grow out enclosure in the reptile room. When Maximus is big enough he has dibs on the big enclosure. I have got a female Orange Eye White Lip arriving this December.

I look forward to your pictures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Do I hear a clutch of cb parsonii in your future ??

I appreciate your input here. We only house in the greenhouse for the winter. Everyone goes outside May-October.

Have you got pictures of your greenhouse? Where is your greenhouse located? On an open hill? In the shade under tree's? You use your greenhouse for seven months of cold weather in Canada. That is crazy. Woww what kind of covering does your greenhouse have? Are you using propane heater or electric?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Have you got pictures of your greenhouse? Where is your greenhouse located? On an open hill? In the shade under tree's? You use your greenhouse for seven months of cold weather in Canada. That is crazy. Woww what kind of covering does your greenhouse have? Are you using propane heater or electric?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I’d love to see O’shaunessey become established in captivity as well! I’ll post pics of the greenhouse today. The greenhouse has a natural gas heater, so we can keep it at any temp, all day. It is a double layer of poly inflated, so I get a decent R value.

The greenhouse sits in my back yard in full sun, is 20x12x8h.

Attachments

• 5B201CE7-213F-448E-8A0B-C4ECB02F0AE1.jpeg
    5B201CE7-213F-448E-8A0B-C4ECB02F0AE1.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 1C296484-9757-4525-8A6C-55BE363BC110.jpeg
    1C296484-9757-4525-8A6C-55BE363BC110.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 117
  • 72231786-AB75-46CA-8F0A-396B6F82B86C.jpeg
    72231786-AB75-46CA-8F0A-396B6F82B86C.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 3EF9D18A-9088-4D88-987C-01F089687688.jpeg
    3EF9D18A-9088-4D88-987C-01F089687688.jpeg