Evaluate my 6 month old eggs!

Julirs

This is my first clutch. I opened today to take out a bad yellow moldy egg and noticed the "crackling" of a few of the shells and the darker round spots on a few egg ends. Can anyone give me the run down? They are 6 months out yesterday-incubating at around 75-77 F.
DSCN0998.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

DSCN1001.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg

They look nice! Aren't they supposed to hatch soon? They might be about to start sweating! How are your other eggs doing?

They might be a little wet but otherwise they look good.
You might lose a few more but most should hatch out.

They must just look wet in the picture. I have never added water and you can't even squeeze a drop out of that vermiculite!
If anything those eggs are on the dry side!

You said to evaluate and that's what they can see from the photo.

It is all a learning experience! I appreciate the evaluation from the more experienced people! I was just suprised that they "looked" wet when I have been worrying about them being too dry! :eek:
I wasn't trying to come across mean!

Last edited:
I think they said that they could be a little wet because the more moisture there is the more the eggs swell and possibly the cracks are from the eggs swelling, not because they appear moist. They look good to me.

-chris

I think they look big and pretty!

Julirs said:
Did your eggs look like mine before they hatched?

I got your pm.

Mine didn't look exactly like that but had some similarities. On mine, on the tips and the sides I had lines that looked like stretch marks on skin, it looked like they were going to crack open but didn't. Your eggs look like they are pretty big cracks, are the eggs still smooth where the lines are? Mine were very fine and didn't have large spaces in between the lines, this is why yours confused me a little bit. For the dark spots at the ends, I remember mine getting spots similar to this but it is hard to tell if it is the same as yours because they are just pics. Have you tried holding one up to the light? I did this with mine and I was able to see a large mass within the egg. The spot may just be the chameleon, I know that I could see mine developing the whole 9 months. Have you checked the moisture and ventilation? Make sure it is not too wet, you don't want to drown them. Too much water would be my second guess though because I know I kept mine very wet and they were fine (My container had a lot of moisture on the sides the whole time through incubation until the last month when I allowed it to get drier). I also notice all of this happening around 6 months for my eggs too. The line went away and the dark spots at the end moved more to the sides and became larger, my dark spots were the chameleons developing. I am sure they are fine, I stressed out a lot about what was going on with my eggs as well. I learned to chill out and just wait, it made it much easier and fun for me.

No moisture on the sides! I think the vermiculite is fine. Stretch marks is a good way to describe it as they are still smooth. I haven't added water the entire time but I have checked the vermiculite with the squeeze test. There are 2 small holes in the top of each container. The one that yellowed turned "solid" over a few weeks and then molded, so I think it died. Thanks for all the help-I will keep everyone posted!

To me, they look like really nice eggs. I haven't been using vermiculite so I wouldn't know if it looks a little too moist or not but the eggs certainly look great so far. :)

hey julirs they look healthy as ever to me and as someone stated they appear like they are swelling abit from the moisture level being high so just leave em be until they hatch i know what your going through lol ahaha i got so hyped up when my eggs started to hatch to so be patient and keep doing what your doing Julirs and hope they all hatch for you

Back
Top Bottom