Escaped Crickets!

WannabeBreeder

hey everyone, I have a problem with my feeder crickets! Somehow they are getting out of the cage I keep them in!!!!! Now I'm just curious as to if anyone else has these problems! I'm using one of those petstore cricket keeper houses and it doesnt seem to have very large holes, definitely small enough for a cricket not being able to get through, but somehow they are! Anyone have any experience dealing with crickets somehow making a seemingly impossible escape?

Can crickets squeeze themselves past small spaces?

I also wanted to add in that's it not all of my crickets that escaped, Ijust keep finding them in my computer room which happens to be where I keep the cage. (They didn't escape while changing out the veggies or preparing them for a feed as I do this in my kitchen) I just found one of the little buggers runnig on my PC desk!

I really need to get this problem fixed I dont want my house to be infested by crickets.

Having trouble dealing with the Picture insertion! I've uploaded my files and they are loaded in, but it does not give me the option to insert them as a Thumbnail or the Full Image, althought the "Insert every image as a..." is still there, and pressing both full image and thumbnail dont work

Attachments

• 20170401_235209 (1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,574
  • 20170401_235228.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 774
Best bet is to get a bigger Rubbermaid tub, cut a hole in the lid and hot glue some aluminum screen to it. Just make sure the tub isn't that textured plastic. (not my pic btw)

c2a10.jpg

hey everyone, I have a problem with my feeder crickets! Somehow they are getting out of the cage I keep them in!!!!! Now I'm just curious as to if anyone else has these problems! I'm using one of those petstore cricket keeper houses and it doesnt seem to have very large holes, definitely small enough for a cricket not being able to get through, but somehow they are! Anyone have any experience dealing with crickets somehow making a seemingly impossible escape?

Can crickets squeeze themselves past small spaces?
Oh lord! Feeder crickets are the worst, I had this same problem for many years. Are you using one of those cricket keepers with the little tube attached to it? If so, that may be your problem. I tried one of those, and the crickets found a way to escape through that tube. Now I keep mine in a small glass tank, with a glass sliding lid that locks and it seems to be working out great. I made a very small vent up one of the sides, and it's made of 3 layers of fine screen.

Well, only issue is they still escape, just not behind my back anymore. When I feed my reptiles, there's always one or two a day that either crawl on my hand and jump or make their way out of the cup before I can dump them into my cham's cage. Or there's the few times that I've dropped the entire cup.....''tis the life of a reptile collector

You need to do what I do. Get 4 cats. No issues with escaped feeders :D.
Now that sounds like a genius plan! I don't have any cats, but I do have a dog that loves to chase them around. Only problem is she only eats the calcium dusted ones for some reason :unsure:

Now that sounds like a genius plan! I don't have any cats, but I do have a dog that loves to chase them around. Only problem is she only eats the calcium dusted ones for some reason :unsure:
I wish my Cham was that way! She tends to only hunt after the ones that aren't calcium dusted. I'm gonna have to start doing less dust and more crickets dusted lol

I wish my Cham was that way! She tends to only hunt after the ones that aren't calcium dusted. I'm gonna have to start doing less dust and more crickets dusted lol
Really? That's interesting, both my dog and my cham can't seem to get enough of them. My thought was that the brighter, white appearance like a powdered donut made them more appealing. The only ones I struggle to get him to eat are the vitamin ones, but he'll eat them usually if I hand offer them (i seriously hate doing that, those stupid crickets run all over the place). I'm giving something new a try, and I'm splitting meals for everyone into two portions. The morning portion I'll dust (just calcium, and then calcium+ every two days) and leave the second meal plain. So far it seems to be working out well, I've noticed a change in energy.

You can use those mouse traps that have the sticky pads with some of the chameleon food...

Place two or three around the chameleons cage and where you keep the crickets... Should attract them right away..

You can use those mouse traps that have the sticky pads with some of the chameleon food...

Place two or three around the chameleons cage and where you keep the crickets... Should attract them right away..

Agreed!!! The sticky traps work extremely well! I don't even bait mine and they work great. I figure the cricket probably won't detect the food until it's practically on the trap anyways. I tried baiting a while back and couldn't see a difference. Anyways, place them where the wall meets the floor as that seems to be a common path for crickets, even though they can of course go almost anywhere. Just make sure they are not accessible to any pets!

I use the stupid critter keepers (not the cricket ones w the tubes) and mine are deff getting out of it, no idea how... Luckily I got a double reinforcement set up.. i have one big clear bin and put my 2 cricket critter keepers in it(one for small crickets and one for large crickets) then i put the plastic bin w my feeder roaches in there too then shut it.. i keep finding crickets in the bottom of the big bin tho, outside the critter keepers.. only the smaller ones.i also use big bins to transfer crickets from the keepers to a deli container feeder cup to feed, incase any try to jump out. i left 2 crickets in the chameleon cage one time and next day there was a cricket climbing my bedroom wall.:eek: im like ahhhhhh nope, if you dont finish what i hand feed you, thats it, no snacks left in ur cage unless its worms in a glass dish.. haha

Back
Top Bottom