Erroneous Conclusions Hurt Husbandry

The CIN is defunct. It was the chameleon information network. Before the internet really came into widespread effective use, the newsletter published by the CIN was *the* primary source of information about chameleon husbandry. Early on, it kind of struggled along, and then a couple of editors picked it up and really put a professional polish to it. But they were more actively involved in the dissemination of husbandry information than the previous editor(s). The result was all husbandry in the articles was basically their husbandry, and they had a very strong belief that screen cages were mandatory for chameleons. Articles prior to their editorship did not take this strict single minded view. But there were only a few truly good issues prior to their taking it over, and they ran it for years until it ended. In spite of my difference of opinion on screen cages, it was an excellent publication overall and I still enjoy referring back to the articles.

Extremely interesting and informative post. Especially for someone who can't remember a time when the internet wasn't being used by the general public. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks

The CIN is defunct. It was the chameleon information network. Before the internet really came into widespread effective use, the newsletter published by the CIN was *the* primary source of information about chameleon husbandry. Early on, it kind of struggled along, and then a couple of editors picked it up and really put a professional polish to it. But they were more actively involved in the dissemination of husbandry information than the previous editor(s). The result was all husbandry in the articles was basically their husbandry, and they had a very strong belief that screen cages were mandatory for chameleons. Articles prior to their editorship did not take this strict single minded view. But there were only a few truly good issues prior to their taking it over, and they ran it for years until it ended. In spite of my difference of opinion on screen cages, it was an excellent publication overall and I still enjoy referring back to the articles.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. And for the record I too agree with your stance on aquariums. Been doing this for more than 16 years, and even though I incorporate both I still think it is easier to maintain humidity, and temps this way. In the area where I live we have cold winters and the humidity is dry most of the year, To keep just a screen cage I would have to cover at least three sides to maintain the humidity so what's the difference. It's strange I didn't hear of these guys though, I just went by my success as well as the success of others trial and err so to speak. Thanks again.:)

A problem i often see is people humanizing them. They treat the cham the way they would want to be treated but that cham isn't a person and doesn't want to be treated like we do. My daughter does this with all kinds of animals and has killed them from time to time (in the goodness of her heart) as a result. Chams want to have THEIR needs met, not ours. One example among many is when people don't want their cham to be "lonely," But as we know, chams really dig being alone.
You have to admit if you have teenagers, chameleons are closer to human. LOVE this post. Learning a lot

You have to admit if you have teenagers, chameleons are closer to human. LOVE this post. Learning a lot
I think one thing that can be sais as factual. If you have tropical fish,a screen enclosure will not work. Again,thank you guys so much for the knowledge and use of science in the discussion. Very high level of critical thinking skills. A great relief if you spend much time on the internet!

So here's my opinion. Screen enclosures, or glass enclosures, most chameleons would most likely like to be free ranged. I look at the relationship people have with free ranged chameleons and it is far less tense or stressed. Even Joel, with his melleri adults, and melleri are very stand offish, he has a much better relationship than he would if they were in cages. I know it's no practical, I honestly can't keep chameleons the preferred way I want to because I have cats and dogs. But if I could I would free range my chameleons in a heart beat. Yes it's more work, but in my opinion it's far more natural for them and from every free range pic I see that is done right, chameleons prefer it.

And honestly I can say one thing that is absolute fact, chameleons are individuals, what may work for many chameleons doesn't mean it will work for yours. You have to take everything with a grain of salt and be prepared to look for any adverse affects of any changes you do. I have recently learned my chameleon Ryker is far more sensitive to artificial lighting than most chameleons. He can't do any sort of halogen bulb even though I only used a 35 watt. It burned his eyes so bad that I even had to take out his uvb light for 4 months and use only sunlight until he was healed and wasn't light sensitive. Even though tons of people on here use halogen bulbs and swear that couldn't have caused it. I know it did. My vet diagnosed him with light sensitivity and I immediately removed the halogen bulb.

FYI, this thread is from two years ago.

Still interesting information, but we seem to have a minor epidemic of "old thread necromancy" going around. Check the dates before you respond (unless it's an ongoing data collection thread like "enclosures") or you may miss out on people contributing to your question.

I have to disagree with you on a few of these. Of course Chris Anderson is successful with using glass and many other experienced keepers but IMO is it so much easier for a new keeper to keep the temps and ventilation correct in a screen enclosure and I doubt even Chris would keep a veiled or panther in glass and that's the species that most of our new member here keep.

Also, I interact with my chameleons on a daily basic and see more and learn more about them and their personalities that the normal keeper. I have/had chameleons that want to do all my daily chores with me. Just because you haven't had one that likes people, attention and interaction doesn't mean they are not out there. The more time you spend with any animal the smarter it becomes and this is also true of chameleons.
Shots Fired!!

The beauty of the internet, and this forum, is that new people can come here and find (and revive) old threads that had useful insight or information. It's really the purpose of it. Necromancy has nothing to do with it, if anything I ma happy to see people reading the old threads instead of just posting a newer version of it. The difference between a new user who is actually using these old threads and the new user who shows up and just makes a post about "what kind of lighting does my three horned Panther chameleon I bought from Petdumb down the street need?" is simply huge.

So, let the Necromancy begin...

The beauty of the internet, and this forum, is that new people can come here and find (and revive) old threads that had useful insight or information. It's really the purpose of it. Necromancy has nothing to do with it, if anything I ma happy to see people reading the old threads instead of just posting a newer version of it. The difference between a new user who is actually using these old threads and the new user who shows up and just makes a post about "what kind of lighting does my three horned Panther chameleon I bought from Petdumb down the street need?" is simply huge.
So, let the Necromancy begin...

That's a very fair point. The wealth of old threads on CF is exactly what makes this forum so valuable. I meant it more from the perspective that sometimes people resurrect old threads asking either 1) a question specific to their chameleon that gets overlooked on the tail end of an old conversation or 2) asking a question of the original poster who is often no longer active on the forum. New members often seem to get frustrated when they feel like no one is responding/answering them. I recognize that tone does not translate well through text, so I can see how my response sounded critical when I didn't intend it to be.

Back
Top Bottom