Eri silkworms?

I had an email from the company about those too. I wasn't sure either! Seems like they are larger than the normal silks. From the info they grow up to 6 inches at the final instar and have a green tint. Haven't heard of anyone trying them yet though.

I had an email from the company about those too. I wasn't sure either! Seems like they are larger than the normal silks. From the info they grow up to 6 inches at the final instar and have a green tint. Haven't heard of anyone trying them yet though.

where did you hear about them? I saw them on.... butterworms.co.uk i think - but they dont have any in stock - previous experience with them says they probably wont!

They have many many more food plants, and the majority of them are toxic. Like privet for example.

Most artificial diets involve the food plant in some way as the larvae of certain species will only eat X, X, and X food plants. Mulberry food for example, a decent portion of it is made from mulberry leaves as silkworms will not thrive without it. The mixes need to include attractants to get them to feed off of it.

Be careful. Check to see what is in the diet.

They have many many more food plants, and the majority of them are toxic. Like privet for example.

Most artificial diets involve the food plant in some way as the larvae of certain species will only eat X, X, and X food plants. Mulberry food for example, a decent portion of it is made from mulberry leaves as silkworms will not thrive without it. The mixes need to include attractants to get them to feed off of it.

Be careful. Check to see what is in the diet.

Thanks for that - I haven't really looked into it yet because I haven't actually found any that are available

Yeah I saw them on Lizard Lunch too.

Silkwormstore.co.uk is great - I'm on their breed to order program, 20 medium sized silkworms delivered to my door every wednesday without fail :D

I have thought about signing up for this too - does it work out ok? Do they charge any extra?

I have thought about signing up for this too - does it work out ok? Do they charge any extra?

Nope, normal prices and delivery charges. I've only had one problem with one lot going missing (yay, royal mail!) but Tom sent a replacement straight away. They are bred for you, so you can have as few/many as you want at whatever size. It's great to be able to have a reliable and regular supply of them!

Back
Top Bottom