Epiweb in chameleon vivarium?

torresnorre

Thinking of making a chameleon vivarium with epiweb. Is it a good idea or will the humidity to high. With epiweb I would need to have a glass terrarium, I know screen cages are more prefered but is it possible to use epiweb?

I guess it would depend of what type of cham. Maybe an enclosure w/ a solid back and screen sides? I also wonder if the epiwed would eventually get kind of "funky".

I am not to sure what epiweb is, but most vivarium setups are a little too humid for them. URI may be inevitable in a set up like that, but the big glass exoterras are starting to get a little better with circulation. Depending on species, a fully planted vivarium setup is most likely not ideal. Pygmys are great for vivariums, but again, it is very species dependent.

Yea a Veiled wouldn't be suited for a vivarium, but maybe a Jackson would. So it's a bad idea? I would first let the moss grow alot so the epiweb is covered with moss and then some nice plants or is it domed to fail you think?

Yea a Veiled wouldn't be suited for a vivarium, but maybe a Jackson would. So it's a bad idea? I would first let the moss grow alot so the epiweb is covered with moss and then some nice plants or is it domed to fail you think?

I think that a fully planted viv is not a good idea for most arboreal chameleons, (so the majority of them). It can, and has been done, but with much care taken to deal with airflow and humidity. If you are creating a viv that is going to be humid enough to allow ample moss growth, then i do not think it is a good idea, and will probably not work out. This is coming from a huge vivarium/dart frog nerd. Jacksons definitely would fare better than a veiled, but i still would not recommend it.

epiweb is not good for chameleons due the over use of stagnant water, this will accumulate bacteria and cause infections

Would covering 3 sides of a screened terrarium with tree fern panels block air circulation enough to cause respiratory problems? I would have a fan on the terrarium if I had to...

Back
Top Bottom