Enclosure Troubleshooting - Advice & Criticism Welcome!

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi there!

I'm a newbie looking for some advice on how to improve my enclosure, both for anything you advise I change immediately to prevent serious issues, and when I build a bigger one as my chameleon grows into adulthood. Thanks for the help, and for all the great posts and discussions on the forum. I read a ton on the forums to get my enclosure ready, but I'm sure that I missed a few key points and that there's always room for improvement!

Current Questions
  1. When would a good time to transition him to a new, larger cage be? He's growing really quickly but still feels small relatively to the enclosure.
  2. I think my bio-active soil has fungus gnats - any way to get rid of those naturally, or do I have to dump everything and start over?
  3. I'm worried about my humidity levels and him getting a respiratory infection; is there anything I can do to reduce, apart from moving him to an all screen enclosure?
  4. When do I need to change up his feeding and dusting schedule, and how?
Yoda-Enclosure.jpg Yoda-Climbing-Around.jpg Yoda-in-Feeding-Cup.jpg Tail-Curl-Water-Drops.jpg

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon- The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    • Male veiled chameleon, 3-4 months old. I named him Yoda and am calling him Baby Yoda for now. :)
    • I've had him for a little over a month. I got him from FL Chams (Spike bloodline).
  • Handling- How often do you handle your chameleon?
    • I handled him a few times when I first got him, to give him out-of-cage time and bugs as treats to bribe him, but he was pretty scared each time (treadmilling, defensive posture, wouldn't eat), so now I'm just leaving him be.
    • I'll try again once he's an adult, using techniques outlined by Neptune the Chameleon's owner. I would really love to be able to take him outside or give him shower misting time.
  • Feeding- What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • I feed him ~15 feeders in the morning before 9am so he has plenty of time to digest. 10-12 dusted 1/4 crickets and 1-2 small discoid roaches, and 3-5 small BSFL. He has a great appetite and I'm trying to get him a variety of options. He's not a fan of the discoid roaches so I would love to find another staple to rotate in there besides crickets and BSFL.
    • I gut-load crickets and roaches with biodude's bug grub and fresh veggies (kale, carrots) and fruits (apples, blueberries). Getting a hold of mustard or dandelion greens is tough right now since I'm getting groceries delivered. I don't gut-load or dust BSFL.
  • Supplements- What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • Repcal. I dust with calcium (no D3) every weekday and Sundays. On Saturdays I alternate between calcium with D3 and Herptivite multivitamin every other week.
  • Watering- What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • My mistking runs 2x per day. 3 minutes at 8am and 3 minutes at 6pm.
    • I haven't seen my chameleon drinking.
  • Fecal Description- Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • Nice poops and white urates. I see a new one every day. My springtails and isopods are very happy, hahah.
    • He's never been tested for parasites. I plan to take him to the vet for a check-up once things are safer.
  • History- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    • N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type- Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    • Combo - screen door and top. 18 x 18 x 24.
  • Lighting- What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • Lights on for 12 hours at 7am, lights off for 12 hours at 7pm.
    • UVB: Linear Reptisun 5.0 UVB T5 HO
    • Heat: Zoo med 75w basking lamp
  • Temperature- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • In the last month, the lowest temp has been 71 degrees, and highest has been 82, per a Govee bluetooth tile. (See screenshots below of a snapshot of the past week and month.)
    • With a temp gun, current cage floor temp is 72 degrees, highest basking spot is 90 degrees, his usual basking spot is 83 degrees.
  • Humidity- What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Typically between 50 and 80%. Highest recorded is 88% and lowest is 45%. Humidity spikes after the mist king goes off, then comes down.
    • I use a Govee inside the cage and have a Flukers to measure outside the enclosure. It's warmer and more humid inside the enclosure, not surprisingly.
    • Since it's a bio-active enclosure and has glass sides, I'm sure that's keeping the humidity levels up. I keep my fan running at all times, which does help keep humidity lower than 80%.
humidity-temp-month.png humidity-temp-week.png
  • Plants- Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • Yes - golden pothos and trailing mezoo. I had a purple passion plant and some ferns but they died. Those were all on FL chams safe plant list.
  • Placement- Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • It's in my office in the back of our apartment, in a closed room (to keep my cats away from and unaware of him).
    • I keep the ceiling fan running to circulate air in the room.
    • The cage is a 2.5 feet off the ground on a temporary table.
  • Location- Where are you geographically located?
    • Orlando, FL

Attachments

• Yoda-Near-Basking-Spot.jpg
    Yoda-Near-Basking-Spot.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 142
Hi there!

I'm a newbie looking for some advice on how to improve my enclosure, both for anything you advise I change immediately to prevent serious issues, and when I build a bigger one as my chameleon grows into adulthood. Thanks for the help, and for all the great posts and discussions on the forum. I read a ton on the forums to get my enclosure ready, but I'm sure that I missed a few key points and that there's always room for improvement!

Current Questions
  1. When would a good time to transition him to a new, larger cage be? He's growing really quickly but still feels small relatively to the enclosure. you can do this any time in the next few months.
  2. I think my bio-active soil has fungus gnats - any way to get rid of those naturally, or do I have to dump everything and start over? can't answer this one. I've never had that problem.
  3. I'm worried about my humidity levels and him getting a respiratory infection; is there anything I can do to reduce, apart from moving him to an all screen enclosure?
  4. When do I need to change up his feeding and dusting schedule, and how? you can change him to every second day feedings when he's about 7 or 8 months old. The dusting schedule is basically the same...every feeding but 4 a month just the calcium. The other 4 days split between the D3 and vitamin powders.
View attachment 264857View attachment 264856View attachment 264858View attachment 264855

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon- The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    • Male veiled chameleon, 3-4 months old. I named him Yoda and am calling him Baby Yoda for now. :)
    • I've had him for a little over a month. I got him from FL Chams (Spike bloodline).
    • I handled him a few times when I first got him, to give him out-of-cage time and bugs as treats to bribe him, but he was pretty scared each time (treadmilling, defensive posture, wouldn't eat), so now I'm just leaving him be.
    • I'll try again once he's an adult, using techniques outlined by Neptune the Chameleon's owner. I would really love to be able to take him outside or give him shower misting time. one little word of advice...when you do try to get him to come out on your hand or even when you're working around him and in his cage...move slowly. Quick motions can startle them.
  • Feeding- What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • I feed him ~15 feeders in the morning before 9am so he has plenty of time to digest. 10-12 dusted 1/4 crickets and 1-2 small discoid roaches, and 3-5 small BSFL. He has a great appetite and I'm trying to get him a variety of options. He's not a fan of the discoid roaches so I would love to find another staple to rotate in there besides crickets and BSFL. you can try silkworms and eventually hornworms...and once in a while, superworms and waxworms.
    • I gut-load crickets and roaches with biodude's bug grub and fresh veggies (kale, carrots) and fruits (apples, blueberries). Getting a hold of mustard or dandelion greens is tough right now since I'm getting groceries delivered. I don't gut-load or dust BSFL.
  • Supplements- What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • Repcal. I dust with calcium (no D3) every weekday and Sundays. On Saturdays I alternate between calcium with D3 and Herptivite multivitamin every other week.
  • Watering- What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • I haven't seen my chameleon drinking. you could add a dripper.

• Fecal Description- Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • Nice poops and white urates. I see a new one every day. My springtails and isopods are very happy, hahah.
    • He's never been tested for parasites. I plan to take him to the vet for a check-up once things are safer.
  • History- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    • N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type- Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting- What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • In the last month, the lowest temp has been 71 degrees, and highest has been 82, per a Govee bluetooth tile. (See screenshots below of a snapshot of the past week and month.)
    • With a temp gun, current cage floor temp is 72 degrees, highest basking spot is 90 degrees, his usual basking spot is 83 degrees.
  • Humidity- What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Typically between 50 and 80%. Highest recorded is 88% and lowest is 45%. Humidity spikes after the mist king goes off, then comes down.
    • I use a Govee inside the cage and have a Flukers to measure outside the enclosure. It's warmer and more humid inside the enclosure, not surprisingly.
    • Since it's a bio-active enclosure and has glass sides, I'm sure that's keeping the humidity levels up. I keep my fan running at all times, which does help keep humidity lower than 80%.
View attachment 264863View attachment 264864
    • Yes - golden pothos and trailing mezoo. I had a purple passion plant and some ferns but they died. Those were all on FL chams safe plant list.
  • Placement- Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • It's in my office in the back of our apartment, in a closed room (to keep my cats away from and unaware of him).
    • Orlando, FL

I'm not a fan of the moss in the bottom of the cage. It always worries me that it will lead to an impaction if ingested. Especially with veiled chameleons.

Not sure if I missed anything but I'm sure others will chime in.

Hi there!

Current Questions
  1. When would a good time to transition him to a new, larger cage be? He's growing really quickly but still feels small relatively to the enclosure.
  2. I think my bio-active soil has fungus gnats - any way to get rid of those naturally, or do I have to dump everything and start over?
  4. When do I need to change up his feeding and dusting schedule, and how?
View attachment 264857View attachment 264856View attachment 264858View attachment 264855

Chameleon Info:
    • I'll try again once he's an adult, using techniques outlined by Neptune the Chameleon's owner. I would really love to be able to take him outside or give him shower misting time.
    • I feed him ~15 feeders in the morning before 9am so he has plenty of time to digest. 10-12 dusted 1/4 crickets and 1-2 small discoid roaches, and 3-5 small BSFL. He has a great appetite and I'm trying to get him a variety of options. He's not a fan of the discoid roaches so I would love to find another staple to rotate in there besides crickets and BSFL.
    • I haven't seen my chameleon drinking.
    • N/A

Cage Info:
View attachment 264863View attachment 264864
    • Orlando, FL
1. I think most will agree any time is fine to upgrade. I have my 3 month old in a 2x2x4 already. I can’t ever find him when he’s not basking, but he seems to like it.
2. I don’t do bioactive so not sure on this. I would guess another type of insect could help here that will eat the gnats.
3. I’m also in Florida. You’ll need a larger cage soon so just get a screen cage then.
4. I think you should cut back feedings to about 5 feeders every other day from 6-12 months and then 3 feeders every other day once they are a year old.

You can upgrade the cage now if you like. Fungus gnats come from when you you have high humidity plus stagnant air I know you said that you have the ceiling fan on but that’s probably not enough to circulate the air inside the cage you have. You can achieve better air circulation by adding a appropriate size PC fan on top of the cage. Also add a smart plug or timer so you can have it come on and off at different times throughout the day. I only dust calcium with D3 once every other week and the same goes for multivitamins.

Thanks, everyone! Really appreciate you giving everything I've written and posted a thorough review. I'll get to work on the cage upgrade now, so it's ready within the next month. I'm building it and the table custom. I will probably change the location in the room as well, since he's by the door right now and the door opening is a relatively quick motion and scares him.

I'll get a fan for the top of the cage and get rid of the moss more immediately. I'm thinking I can just replace the moss with leaf litter. LMK if you have further concerns there.

You can upgrade the cage now if you like. Fungus gnats come from when you you have high humidity plus stagnant air I know you said that you have the ceiling fan on but that’s probably not enough to circulate the air inside the cage you have. You can achieve better air circulation by adding a appropriate size PC fan on top of the cage. Also add a smart plug or timer so you can have it come on and off at different times throughout the day. I only dust calcium with D3 once every other week and the same goes for multivitamins.

Does that mean you only do calcium plus D3 once a month, not twice? and same for multivitamins? Is that a bit different than what others advise, or have I been misunderstanding this whole time? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter. Eep.

Thanks, everyone! Really appreciate you giving everything I've written and posted a thorough review. I'll get to work on the cage upgrade now, so it's ready within the next month. I'm building it and the table custom. I will probably change the location in the room as well, since he's by the door right now and the door opening is a relatively quick motion and scares him.

I'll get a fan for the top of the cage and get rid of the moss more immediately. I'm thinking I can just replace the moss with leaf litter. LMK if you have further concerns there.

Does that mean you only do calcium plus D3 once a month, not twice? and same for multivitamins? Is that a bit different than what others advise, or have I been misunderstanding this whole time? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter. Eep.
No it’s twice a month on weeks 1&3 I’ll do calcium with D3 and weeks 2&4 multivitamins or you can switch it around to what ever is best for you.

IMO this is a very grey area and know one really “knows” what is safe or not safe to give. I’ve heard people on both sides of the spectrum that have successfully raised chameleons on either no supplemental D3 by just using proper lighting and also others who supplement 20,000 IU/lb of D3 (Repashy Calcium Plus) at every feeding with no noticeable adverse affects. The Chameleon Academy podcast does a good job trying to delve into this subject. The only time you can probably get yourself in trouble here is if you give too much supplemental D3 which appears that even 20,000 IU/pound at every feeding is even within the “safe zone” or you have improper UVB lighting. Myself...I split the difference with Repashy Calcium Plus LoD at every feeding.

Back
Top Bottom