Enclosure Sizes?

YOSHI

Ive always been under the impression for all reptiles let alone Chams that they should be raised in small enclosures as youngsters to make sure they receive adequate lighting and food, then to slowly upgrade the enclosures as the animal grows larger, am i being stupid???

That's correct. Do you have a specific species that you wanted to know a good enclosure size for?

I've got 5 cages for sale n classifieds for 110 them alone or add a mistking for 125 more!

I disagree, and many other owners will too!

I believe it is fine to leave a chameleon in a large enclosure from baby-adult.The main issue of having such a large enclosure for a small chameleon is the feeding - but if he is cup-fed there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm getting my first chameleon in a few weeks, and I have asked this question in another thread and other members said the same thing.

Look at it this way; in the wild, they are born in a huge rainforest - not put in small enclosures.

Many times we forget where our pets came from!

If you have the money to buy smaller enclosures then go for it - but I see nothing wrong as long as you closely watch your guy in a large enclosure for his life.

you're absolutely right, there is nothing wrong with a larger enclosure provided you watch to make sure the cham is finding his food (unless its cup fed). and there's nothing wrong with using a smaller enclosure and moving to larger as the cham grows up - both ways are acceptable and there are pros and cons for each :)

Right on, shes been in it all day and is still nervous, but I know shell like the space, and I dont have to worry about her being in her free range, thanks...

The food question is in my opinion the only one which can cause problems with larger enclosures. Crickets for example grow very fast if they were not found fast by the chameleon. If the cage is now very big and the chameleon very small, big crickets can be lethal ! So if you cup feed crickets there shouldnt appear problems

I disagree, and many other owners will too!

I believe it is fine to leave a chameleon in a large enclosure from baby-adult.The main issue of having such a large enclosure for a small chameleon is the feeding - but if he is cup-fed there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm getting my first chameleon in a few weeks, and I have asked this question in another thread and other members said the same thing.

Look at it this way; in the wild, they are born in a huge rainforest - not put in small enclosures.

Many times we forget where our pets came from!

If you have the money to buy smaller enclosures then go for it - but I see nothing wrong as long as you closely watch your guy in a large enclosure for his life.
You are correct, and there are advantages either way.........but especially for someone who has never kept a cham before it is much easier to keep a close eye in a smaller viv. They are surprisingly good at hiding :).......and they hide sicknesses too. As long as there is enough foliage for the cham to feel safe I would recommend every beginner to start with a smaller viv if they buy a baby, it is so much more convenient for the keeper............just my 2 cents........

No species in particular, just been playing on my mind, tho my next project is hopefully a panther cham and i am toying on the idea of buying a youngster and raising him/her for a change.

Back
Top Bottom