Enclosure sizes

wanabthemoon

I am looking to convert a TV stand/ armoire / or gun cabinet into an enclosure. Most of the ones that I've looked at are at least 5 foot tall, and 3 foot wide. (larger than the minimum recommendations.) However, some of these are only 18 or 20 inches deep. Would a LESS then recommended depth be an issue if there was more space up and down and side to side? (assuming full coverage planting etc...)

RUle of thumb is you want it at least one animal length deep.

And you can always just math. If the recommended is 24x24, thats 574sqinch. Or if you want to freedoms, 2x2 is 4sqft. So a 3 by 1.5 is 4.5, so a wee bigger than a reptibreeze xl.

And height doesnt really matter. They are kinda like gold fish, it doesnt matter if its a 8ft tall cage, they are going to spend 90% of the time in a 2ft section.

I am looking to convert a TV stand/ armoire / or gun cabinet into an enclosure. Most of the ones that I've looked at are at least 5 foot tall, and 3 foot wide. (larger than the minimum recommendations.) However, some of these are only 18 or 20 inches deep. Would a LESS then recommended depth be an issue if there was more space up and down and side to side? (assuming full coverage planting etc...)
I looked for appropriate conversion cabinets a few times, and depth was always the issue.

Minimum enclosure sizes for most adult chams are 24 x 24 x 48 OR 36 x 18 x 36.
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Minimum depth should be 1 to 1.5 times the snout to tail length.
http://www.anapsid.org/enclsize.html

That said, I've rarely been one for minimums, and none of our reptiles (even as hatchlings) have been in minimum size enclosures.

That is really helpful thank you! I am thinking in my space a 36 x 18 x at least 36 would work quite well. I'll keep my eyes out for something that would work about that size.

That is really helpful thank you! I am thinking in my space a 36 x 18 x at least 36 would work quite well. I'll keep my eyes out for something that would work about that size.
One of the mfrs. (Exo-Terra or Zoo Med—I forget which) makes some that size.

Back
Top Bottom