Enclosure question ???

zacharykg

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of flooring should be in my enclosure? I’m debating doing a substrate with soil, microorganisms, etc. or should i do something else?

Whether bioactive or not, drainage should be your first thought. Between keeping plants watered and the enclosure misted (for humidity and eye hygiene), you'll likely be putting a lot of water through the system, so a drain pan of some sort should be under the enclosure.

I'm not going bioactive, so I'm putting a tile floor in the drain pan (large tiles with no grout or adhesive). The tiles will be kept above the water line, and serve as a flat base for planters & pots. Tile is very easy to clean (spot or general) & disinfect.

I am not sure which to do yet. Any suggestions?
Well bioactive is better but its a lot more work. If you want to go the easy way you dont need substrate just get some plants in pots and thats it( you should have some dead branches just so he can have more places). I dont have bioactive but I would love to try to make it but you need to get into it to make it.

Yeah I don't know about better... LOL it is another correct way of doing it. It is that or bare bottom for easy cleaning.

I'm a huge proponent of bioactive done right. Both of my reptile enclosures (veiled chameleon, crested gecko) and my c. Gracilis enclosure are bioactive, and any additional reptiles (or invertebrates) coming into my home will also be kept this way. It's not a "better" way of keeping, per se, but I've had excellent results with absolutely no ill effect to my animals. And, imho, there's nothing better than having a gorgeous little natural habitat in your home to enjoy! It's more work to set up properly, but has almost 0 upkeep afterward outside of maintaining plants and feeding.

Two caveats to consider: it's difficult (almost impossible in a well established bioactive) to obtain fresh stool samples or observe urate color, and it's EXTREMELY important to get your reptile tested for parasites before introducing it to the system. If your animal becomes infected, it'll most likely mean starting over from scratch. I'd suggest quarantining any new animals in a "sterile" set up and making sure they're in good health and familiarizing yourself with their habits beforehand.

If you're interested in reading more about bioactivity and how to get set up correctly, here's a blog covering the subject pretty thoroughly: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please feel free to DM me. :)

Even the guru (Josh Halter) disagrees with that part.
Bioactive Vivarium Maintenance 101 — Yes, They Do Require Maintenance!

Again, I'm not against bioactive, but there is a little more to it. ;)
She really knows her stuff when it comes to bioactive set ups. Besides draining off water or adding additional CUC I am not sure what you mean by "there is a little more to it". And if someone wants to go into this area with there enclosures they need to do the proper planning and research.

I do not want to see this thread become bioactive vs not either. So lets leave this here. The point is bioactive is a great option or bare bottom. There is not an in between the two. And if bioactive is what someone is trying to go for then it must be done properly.

I am not sure what you mean by "there is a little more to it".
Did you read the linked article?

I do not want to see this thread become bioactive vs not either. So lets leave this here. The point is bioactive is a great option or bare bottom. There is not an in between the two. And if bioactive is what someone is trying to go for then it must be done properly.
Isn't that what we've been saying?

Even the guru (Josh Halter) disagrees with that part.
Bioactive Vivarium Maintenance 101 — Yes, They Do Require Maintenance!

Again, I'm not against bioactive, but there is a little more to it. ;)

Of course there's no such thing as 0 maintenance. It just didn't seem the time or place to discuss the amount of time and effort I put into caring for and grooming my enclosures. Please feel free to DM me re: "there is a little more to it", and while I have certainly read Josh Halter's works I will review it so the information is fresh. Personally, I've modeled most of my methodology after John Courteney-Smith's practices. While my oldest viv is only 9 months (and has, sadly, been dismantled though the soil lives on!), I've done significant research on the subject and every aspect that goes into it.

In any case - I agree with @Beman. This isn't the place to argue for or against specific keeping methods. I have experience with sterile, naturalistic, and bioactive enclosures... they all have their place in the hobby. Do what you feel is best for your animals, and I will do the same for mine.

Unless you have DONE both how can you say either way.
I don't have to bake a cake by scratch and another by using a mix to recognize (from reading the recipes & instructions) that one is more challenging than the other.

Somehow some people seem to be getting the idea that I'm against bioactive enclosures despite repeatedly stating I am not. All I've said is that there are pros & cons for each, and cited an article by Josh Halter that explains that bioactive does involve maintenance. If you disagree, please—by all means—take it up with him.

There's no crime in wanting—or being willing to go the extra mile—to do bioactive.
Wow. Is this subject so polarizing that someone can't see both sides, while recognizing there are differences? :unsure:

I don't have to bake a cake by scratch and another by using a mix to recognize (from reading the recipes & instructions) that one is more challenging than the other.

Somehow some people seem to be getting the idea that I'm against bioactive enclosures despite repeatedly stating I am not. All I've said is that there are pros & cons for each, and cited an article by Josh Halter that explains that bioactive does involve maintenance. If you disagree, please—by all means—take it up with him.

There's no crime in wanting—or being willing to go the extra mile—to do bioactive.
Wow. Is this subject so polarizing that someone can't see both sides, while recognizing there are differences? :unsure:
And now this is now turning into a total thread derailment...

@Klyde O'Scope - if you wish to further discuss the topic, my inbox remains open. None of us have said anything about sides, or not being able to recognize differences. Of course there are differences! In regards to difficulty... it's not nearly as difficult as people like to make it seem.

And now this is now turning into a total thread derailment...

Yep, I'm done.

OFC theres always maintenance.. Doesn't matter what you go, tile, bioactive, bucket, etc...
If you want bioactive cuz you wanna be lazy and not clean up well honestly paper towels its a better option.
Easier to maintenance...

I Go Bioactive because I love plants as much as I love Reptiles. I like my setups looking nice and natural.

Back
Top Bottom