Enclosure for injured chameleon

lainezor

Hey guys, my chameleon has his left back leg splinted to his tail and is unable to walk properly. The vet told me to make sure he doesn't climb (which you see doesn't really stop him but at least he doesn't have a big plant to climb up,also he gets this far and goes back down). After like 10 attempts at enclosures I have come up with this:

HiuNKiZ.jpg

but the problem I am having is its not warm enough in his basking area, its only about 78 and he feels cold to the touch, I had to move him around all day to get the drainage correct (was previously pooling so hes got it so it drips through the screen part )and now he hates me so I am worried about moving him again. right now I am using a clear 100watt incandescent light bulb for his heat but its just not warm enough, what would you recommend buying? Is everything else okay? The reptile carpet was there to help absorb heat and provide a soft surface so he doesn't hurt his tail, I have a bit of fake plant for water to drip onto.

Why not turn the cage sideways?? How long does he have to stay like that? He should be able to walk up onto something. I think leaving the cage completely empty like that is going to be very stressful on him. Can't you keep some vines and branches low, and some foliage on the bottom? He still should be able to use his other three legs and get around ok. When your vet meant climb, did he mean not climb on anything, even low to the ground? He just looks very uncomfortable the way that is set up.

Last edited:
I put leaves in the bottom of the cage and he kept getting tangled. He's going to wear this splint for at least a month I want him to be the most comfortable and I thought putting it on it's side would force him to climb on screen floor and it would hurt him

oh wow. That is a long time to live in an empty cage like that. Where will he sleep?? I don't see why you could not set up everything low on the bottom for him. Isn't the main concern him falling? If his leg is splinted he cannot use it so why not let him climb low and hang the leg down??

He's being very clumsy. If you think I can add vines and stuf I will do so. I want to be sure he's compfy and happy.

I roll up towels and make hills on the bottom so they can perch and kind of climb but if they fall or slip the towel cushions it. You want coarse towels so they can grab it, not smooth ones. I've even put things like a small bucket (upside down e-collar at work!) under the towel so it gets them up taller but still is easier for them to climb and safe if they're clumsy. They will be much happier feeling like they're getting taller than their surroundings and won't pace so much. Decreased stress helps healing. I would also cover the sides so he doesn't feel so exposed by having less in the cage.

I ended up using reptile carpet and made rolls for hills. He seems to like it, I put a lot of plant branches and fake leaves in and covered the sides. He is doing well now.

Back
Top Bottom