Enclosure Feedback and Night Fogging thoughts?

KatotheChameleon

Established Member
Hello fellow chameleon lovers!

Update on Kato’s setup - I got him an enclosure he will definitely grow into! I would love feedback on what y’all love and what you think should change! 🙂
The plants in pots are real, and the vines are fake. I was able to find a great deal on the monsoon misters so he has one on each side and I use it in the am and pm! I was able to find this really cool timer as well, so now he will have a consistent schedule! I know the UVB is a little small so having it delivered ASAP so it will better suit the new setup! I also didn’t raise the heater lamp because it measures about 85 at the highest point so I think it should be good 🙂 I will say, please be gentle with me, it took me until 4 am to get it to look like this LOL

I would like to discuss everyone’s opinion on fogging at night. I have a personal humidifier for my allergies that I am using to keep the humidity high at night and have achieved a 100% humidity level. However, I want to see if this is necessary and if I might be doing more harm than good.

Right now, Kato is basking under the light and digesting his crickets and first hornworm! He LOVES worms lol! I’m starting to learn and observe his colorations throughout the day and documenting to see if I can pinpoint his moods. I know it’s going to be a while before I truly know, but there is no rush!

ALSO, for those with Panther Chameleons - when do they start getting their color? I’ve noticed he has reds and blues on him, but he’s mostly the tan with black stripes or he has a dark coloration, mainly when basking or stressed. For reference, I was told he was 3 months but could be younger!

BONUS! The last trip to the store, my husband and I acquired a baby Red-Foot turtle! He is a spunky guy who isn’t shy and already loves to explore. My husband names him Donut so... yeah 😂

Attachments

• 323A8DB2-33B6-4622-BEBD-F672BBE6AE06.jpeg
    323A8DB2-33B6-4622-BEBD-F672BBE6AE06.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DD583658-22DE-4261-97C2-E7626F15EF12.jpeg
    DD583658-22DE-4261-97C2-E7626F15EF12.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 8F2477C1-C35A-4521-81E1-4CCF7BBCE512.jpeg
    8F2477C1-C35A-4521-81E1-4CCF7BBCE512.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 122
  • A12DB384-7CEC-4FCA-A027-CF0A2C62EADD.jpeg
    A12DB384-7CEC-4FCA-A027-CF0A2C62EADD.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 4CFC3379-6BBD-4AE6-AB68-657415FBBA2A.jpeg
    4CFC3379-6BBD-4AE6-AB68-657415FBBA2A.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 117
  • D24C7054-F35D-4DA1-B785-8A3AFF729FD4.jpeg
    D24C7054-F35D-4DA1-B785-8A3AFF729FD4.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 134
So fogging at night can be beneficial for hydration but your night time temps have to be at least 67 and better if lower then that. You do not want to fog when it is hot because they need the cool moist air. Hot moist air can cause respiratory infections. You really want a night time temp drop anyways because it is healthier for them. Must use a cool mist humidifier though.

Your going to want to switch the fake vines out. Those do not dry out and can grow bacteria. Also with panthers most get to a stage where they start biting their vines and moss is a big impaction risk.

Colors very on genetics and age... I have seen some at 3 months already showing. But mostly at that 4-6 month range they start to really show.

So fogging at night can be beneficial for hydration but your night time temps have to be at least 67 and better if lower then that. You do not want to fog when it is hot because they need the cool moist air. Hot moist air can cause respiratory infections. You really want a night time temp drop anyways because it is healthier for them. Must use a cool mist humidifier though.

Your going to want to switch the fake vines out. Those do not dry out and can grow bacteria. Also with panthers most get to a stage where they start biting their vines and moss is a big impaction risk.

Colors very on genetics and age... I have seen some at 3 months already showing. But mostly at that 4-6 month range they start to really show.
Thank you so much for the feedback!! 🙂 it gets to about 68 in our house at night (we like it cold), and humidifier is a cold water one, so it is definitely cold and humid!
What would you recommend as far as vines? He does seem to prefer the branches anyways, so I may get more of those, but they don’t provide much coverage, so I was worried about that.

since I can see some color, maybe he’s 2-3 months. He is a glutton and eats soo much, so I think he is just growing fast lol can’t wait to see his full colors!

Thank you so much for the feedback!! 🙂 it gets to about 68 in our house at night (we like it cold), and humidifier is a cold water one, so it is definitely cold and humid!
What would you recommend as far as vines? He does seem to prefer the branches anyways, so I may get more of those, but they don’t provide much coverage, so I was worried about that.

since I can see some color, maybe he’s 2-3 months. He is a glutton and eats soo much, so I think he is just growing fast lol can’t wait to see his full colors!
Try dropping the temp to 66 ;) If you like it cold then that is good. Most drop temps farther but if you can at least drop it to 65-66 that would be better then 68.

If you are doing fake vines then the flukers ones are the best. BUT they wear down so you have to watch them for that and replace when needed. Real branches are always better. From any non sap producing trees. So no cedar, pine, eucalyptus etc. But these will actually dry out. You want multiple branch/vine sizes as well. They need to be able to grip different sizes.

How much is he eating now? At this age they easily can take down 25-30 feeders a day. So it is a good thing if baby has a good appetite.

I also would not set the heat lamp directly on the screen. The screen gets very hot and causes burns. Even a 1 in gap make a big difference.

Fogging. I agree with @Beman . I am a huge fan of foggers. I live in OR and for me it creates a perfect environment. I can see the difference in the animals. I just added Fog to my 5 juvenile enclosures and they all changed their sleep locations to be closer to the fog.
Now for the buts. This works where I live. This may be the wrong thing someplace else. Also they do not seem to like fog every night.
NOTE: Don't fill enclosure with fog!!! this is where issues occur. They should have an option to not be directly in fog. Fog flowing through should be light and wispy. Take a breath right as the fog comes out and one a little back and you will see. We don't want Pea Soup. The big key here is temperature. That is what needs to drop first. This drop will raise your humidity @ 1% per degree. A 5 to 6 degree drop can equal a near 10% rise in humidity. Your goal should be 65degrees and 90%+ humidity in at least side of the cage.

Try dropping the temp to 66 ;) If you like it cold then that is good. Most drop temps farther but if you can at least drop it to 65-66 that would be better then 68.

If you are doing fake vines then the flukers ones are the best. BUT they wear down so you have to watch them for that and replace when needed. Real branches are always better. From any non sap producing trees. So no cedar, pine, eucalyptus etc. But these will actually dry out. You want multiple branch/vine sizes as well. They need to be able to grip different sizes.

How much is he eating now? At this age they easily can take down 25-30 feeders a day. So it is a good thing if baby has a good appetite.
That’s great to hear we can drop the temp lower! I didn’t because I was worried he would be too cold lol!
I will work on getting real branches and vines 🙂 They are hard to find! I am working on growing out my Wandering Jew plant so I can add it to the enclosure. I am sure the long branches will be appreciated by Kato!
I’ve only been feeding him 10-15... that’s what the reptillium place told me! But they have given me a lot of bad info it seems so I will continue to ask this forum for any other questionable ideas they gave me.. I am sure he will be happy to get some lunch today!

I also would not set the heat lamp directly on the screen. The screen gets very hot and causes burns. Even a 1 in gap make a big difference.

Fogging. I agree with @Beman . I am a huge fan of foggers. I live in OR and for me it creates a perfect environment. I can see the difference in the animals. I just added Fog to my 5 juvenile enclosures and they all changed their sleep locations to be closer to the fog.
Now for the buts. This works where I live. This may be the wrong thing someplace else. Also they do not seem to like fog every night.
NOTE: Don't fill enclosure with fog!!! this is where issues occur. They should have an option to not be directly in fog. Fog flowing through should be light and wispy. Take a breath right as the fog comes out and one a little back and you will see. We don't want Pea Soup. The big key here is temperature. That is what needs to drop first. This drop will raise your humidity @ 1% per degree. A 5 to 6 degree drop can equal a near 10% rise in humidity. Your goal should be 65degrees and 90%+ humidity in at least side of the cage.
Got it! I will raise it off the screen. Don’t want the little guy to get burned! 🙂

we are in North Texas and lately it’s been raining nonstop, so it’s already pretty humid but it is dry during the winter and summer, so for sure I will be using it during those times!

thank you for the information!! Great info that I didn’t know about! I will continue using the fogger and make sure I’m not doing too much 😉

That’s great to hear we can drop the temp lower! I didn’t because I was worried he would be too cold lol!
I will work on getting real branches and vines 🙂 They are hard to find! I am working on growing out my Wandering Jew plant so I can add it to the enclosure. I am sure the long branches will be appreciated by Kato!
I’ve only been feeding him 10-15... that’s what the reptillium place told me! But they have given me a lot of bad info it seems so I will continue to ask this forum for any other questionable ideas they gave me.. I am sure he will be happy to get some lunch today!
I would up your feeding amounts. If he is taking down 10-15 in one sitting then I would make sure your giving baby 24 at least each day. Hopefully they gave you the right supplement info. If you have not filled out a husbandry form for feedback then I recommend this.

I drop my Veiled to 59-60 every night. Your panther will love lower temps as well. And like it was mentioned cooler air gives you higher humidity levels. :)

Contact local landscaping or tree trimming companies. Often they know what they are cutting down and will let you come get what you want. Wash branches with soap and water and lay out in the sun.

I would up your feeding amounts. If he is taking down 10-15 in one sitting then I would make sure your giving baby 24 at least each day. Hopefully they gave you the right supplement info. If you have not filled out a husbandry form for feedback then I recommend this.

I drop my Veiled to 59-60 every night. Your panther will love lower temps as well. And like it was mentioned cooler air gives you higher humidity levels. :)

Contact local landscaping or tree trimming companies. Often they know what they are cutting down and will let you come get what you want. Wash branches with soap and water and lay out in the sun.
Dang that’s a great idea!! I didn’t think about that! I will reach out to see if I can get the branches before they are thrown away! 😄
I did fill out a husbandry form and got a lot of great information about supplements and that’s where I got the idea to get a bigger enclosure and more plants! I didn’t realize the vines probably were a bad idea, even with fake moss lol. I didn’t get feedback on feeding him more but I will definitely do that now! 😊

heck I am going to be happier when it’s colder too!! 😂

Back
Top Bottom