Enclosure cleaning

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
Literally looking for any advise on cleaning the enclosure. How often(other than daily spot cleaning) How deep of a clean? What to clean with?
What to do with the cham? I know it's best when you first get them to give them time to adjust to their new home and not bother them too much, should a deep clean be put off at this time?
Please give any and all tips and tricks that you've found making cleaning easy!!

I deep clean every 2 or so weeks! When I do this I move the Pothos plant that is in the enclosure and my cham into a box where he can wait while I clean. He normally seems pretty content there and doesn’t put up too much of a fuss. I take everything out and clean my drip pan, as well as clean off the fake plants I have in the enclosure. When I deep clean I trying to rearrange a little bit just so there’s something new and fun for him to explore when he gets back. :)

Yep, it's pretty much like bay1997 said. Every 2 weeks with soap and water several times, thoroughly in the corners and edges, moving everything out: branches, plants etc. and also cleaning them. And I also did some rearrangements from time to time before, but then I was told here that chams prefer stability over novelty, so I have the current set up for more than half a year already and he still seems to like it )) He is used to hands and it's not a big deal taking him out of the cage. Maybe if you give yours some treats he'll adapt to your presence faster and won't mind you taking him when it's necessary.

Depends, are you using substrate or not? If it's bare bottom, probably good to clean the floor pretty regularly.

Depends, are you using substrate or not? If it's bare bottom, probably good to clean the floor pretty regularly.
It is bare bottom, and I do plan to wipe down the bottom every night before lights out but I wasnt sure about how in depth I should go for the rest of the cage :)

Yep, it's pretty much like bay1997 said. Every 2 weeks with soap and water several times, thoroughly in the corners and edges, moving everything out: branches, plants etc. and also cleaning them. And I also did some rearrangements from time to time before, but then I was told here that chams prefer stability over novelty, so I have the current set up for more than half a year already and he still seems to like it )) He is used to hands and it's not a big deal taking him out of the cage. Maybe if you give yours some treats he'll adapt to your presence faster and won't mind you taking him when it's necessary.
That’s a good point about them preferring stability! I can totally see how a new layout could become stressful. I’ll switch it up a little less!

Back
Top Bottom