Enclosure build questions

tv321406

Hey everyone!
Im building baggans a new cage. I was wondering about the finish. i know there have been hundreds of "what finish do i use" threads, but i havent found an answer to my question. i talked to the guy at our local lumber store and he said linseed oil would be a good idea because it wouldnt ever peel or crack. does anbody know if this is safe for chams? has anybody used it for this purpose? i think i just might end up going the polyurethane route if i dont get much input. heres a pic of my progress so far. let me know what you all think. thanks!

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 205
My experience with Linseed oil, ( mostly with trying to weather proof a door) would say no to finishing a viv. sooner or later it dries out and you will need to refinish the viv again. some of the web sites that i have checked say that it will encourage mold and mildew and also encourage the lumbar to wick moisture into the lumbar.

Teak Oil is used on boats to preserve the wooded surfaces. I have also used it on doors with much better durability. It application would be the same as applying any other surface protectant. wait until you cant smell anything any more.

OPI

thanks opi, that was just the answer i needed. so would you recommend teak oil over say, polyurethane?

most everyone here has used the poly...I haven't seen any one try the teak oil...I can't tell you from any of my experiences either. I think I would stick with some kind of exterior grade poly.

BTW Nice viv so far...

OPI

thanks! ill keep everyone updated on the progress. im hoping this is going to turn out excellent. if you guys have any pointers please let me know!

just a little of my 2 cents here. First off I want to say that the viv looks great so far. I have built my own enclosures before and while they are more expensive than buying a premade cage I prefer to build myself. One pointer I wanted to give was that I used poly for all of mine. Teak oil will wear out over time especially with the mistings and water that will be used for chams. Another suggestion I may have for you and hopefully it is not too late, is to dissassemble your cage and "paint" it while all the pieces are apart. It is amazing how mold will grow in time even in the joints that are secured together. Painting the pieces when they are not together ensures that you will have everything waterproofed with minimal to no mold or rot to worry about. Also make sure you use several coats to make sure it will last for years to come. Hopefully this helps you!! and good luck, again it is looking like a marvelous viv. Any cham would be happy to be living in there!

just a little of my 2 cents here. First off I want to say that the viv looks great so far. I have built my own enclosures before and while they are more expensive than buying a premade cage I prefer to build myself. One pointer I wanted to give was that I used poly for all of mine. Teak oil will wear out over time especially with the mistings and water that will be used for chams. Another suggestion I may have for you and hopefully it is not too late, is to dissassemble your cage and "paint" it while all the pieces are apart. It is amazing how mold will grow in time even in the joints that are secured together. Painting the pieces when they are not together ensures that you will have everything waterproofed with minimal to no mold or rot to worry about. Also make sure you use several coats to make sure it will last for years to come. Hopefully this helps you!! and good luck, again it is looking like a marvelous viv. Any cham would be happy to be living in there!
thats really good advice never thought of that most people would paint when it is together and now that you bring that up you can see that painting all the pieces separate would be the way to go

dang, i just glued it last night. oh well live and learn, right? Ill just make sure and spray many coats of poly on there. i was even thinking about siliconing the joints where the most water would collect. thanks for the advice/compliments, ill keep you all updated on progress. i have to move back out to school next week so it WILL be done by then (i hope)

im thinking about doing a screen bottom with a tray underneath to collect water and feces. has anybody done this? anybody know of any potential problems?

im thinking about doing a screen bottom with a tray underneath to collect water and feces. has anybody done this? anybody know of any potential problems?

If the screen is fine, you'll be having to clean poop off of it.
If the screen is wide enough that most poop falls through, so will some feeders.

i have a huge roll of wire screen in my basement that is about 1/2" squares that i was planning on using. i still cant decide though because i like watching him hunt, not cup feed haha, but i think the screen i have now will look nicer than aluminum

Back
Top Bottom